Time for a change of ROM?!?

1. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

I am a fan of Vanilla Android... I have been rocking CM7, then IceColdSandwich (with the odd day when I reverted to Sense, before going straight back), since I rooted my phone (3-4 weeks after getting it).

Although I am pretty sure I will be going back to my favourite flavour of Android fairly quickly, I think it's about time I gave Sense a proper go. With this in mind, which Sense ROM would people say was the best?

I realise that are likely to be much the same thing, but just fancy trying Sense out for a week or so! :)

Advertisement
  2. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

the most stable and smooth one that comes to mind if android version isnt a concern,is of course ARHD.

not that you need links,but for others that see this:
    [ROM] Android Revolution HD 7.0.4 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Legendary - xda-developers

if you want to try an ICS sense rom,this one looks good:
    [ROM][SENSE4][Jul 30][ACE]Virtuous Infinity v1.31.0 Alpha2 - xda-developers

its got some minor bugs,but the major things are all working. i may have to give this one a shot myself. :) im not a sense fan,but i have to admit sense 4.0 is kinda neat. im running a ville c port on my rezound currently and i do enjoy some of the sense 4 UI.

tthere are others that look to be worth messing with,but are missing functionality for DDability(mostly camera)

i also see that jellytime beta 9 is now available. hooray! :D
    D-U-R-X likes this.
  3. D-U-R-X

Versions aren't that important really... as I keep telling people, I'm rooted, so I guess I could chop and change as much as I want!

Just downloading virtuous at the moment... gonna give it a whirl. Not that bothered by Sense, but I've never been able to send an MMS (well - not technically true... I did after I received on from a mate, but that was only once) and think I'll give Sense a go to see if I can get it working again! :)
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

cool,let us know how it goes. :smokingsomb:

im currently downloading beta 9 jellytime and virtuous. hmm wich to flash first :D
  5. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Would love feedback on Virtuous Infinity v1.31.0 Alpha2. Looks interesting and is in active development. If they continue at the same pace, we might see a beta next week :)

You play with the risky stuff... will go and play with CM7.2.
  6. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

my inspire(and my sensation) are my "play" phones... i take my rezound to work,so i keep something nice and stable on it. i use one of my GSM phones in the evenings,so i can run roms that are missing some functionality without missing it too badly :p

i have been running the jellytime roms,and have been running cm10 on my sensation... so i think i will give virtous the the first flash :D

will defaintely let you know how it goes.
  7. D-U-R-X

Just downloaded and am currently backing up texts, etc before flashing it.

About to leave work, so may have to leave actual flashing until I get in (about 35 mins)! :)
    scotty85 likes this.
  8. D-U-R-X

Well... I'm a little disappointed... all the way through the process of backing up etc, only to have the install fail due to lack of it being signed. Gonna have to look at downloading one of the others instead!
  9. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

what recovery are you using? as long as the md5 matched,you could turn off the signiture verification :)
  10. D-U-R-X

TWRP latest one. Wish I'd thought of that before I deleted the ROM! Currently downloading Back to the futureal!
  11. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Well-Known Member

I still believe that Virtuous Affinity v205.0 with HTC sense 3.5 is worth a go. Battery life is really good. After browsing the net/facebook etc I still have arounf half charge of battery after starting the morning fully charged. Everything works 100%. I've tried others but I keep on coming back to this ROM.
    scotty85 likes this.
  12. ral

ral Well-Known Member

The developer list several issues with the DHD:

• When phone goes into sleep you need to make a long press of the power button to wake it up
    • Mic doesn't work in some apps like Voice Search, Soundhound, ...
    • Camera isn't working on some phones
    • Camcorder only works with disabling sound in the video settings

These were listed as Alpha 1 issues. Have they been fixed.

Any other issue you guys noticed?
    scotty85 likes this.
  13. CDPlant

CDPlant Well-Known Member

Hands down, the best sense 3.5 rom there is :)
    D-U-R-X and scotty85 like this.
  14. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

i am not skeert to admit that im notfamiliar enuff with sense to appreciate the differences between 3.0 and 3.5,so being GB i havent tried it... i dont know if id see any difference between that and ARHD :eek:

i see there is an alpha ICS/3.6 version... but its missing a fair amt of functionality still for a DD

anyone care to elaborate on some of the differences between 3.0 and 3.5?
  15. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

what rom is this refering to? i defiantely need the mic-not sure if i could live without soundhound ;)
  16. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Virtuous Infinity. Based on the date on the thread it was posted when Alpha1 was released.
    scotty85 likes this.
  17. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Some under the hood optimisations. Sense 3.5 is meant to be optimsed so it works better on Single Core handsets. There are also some graphical tweaks along with a few new widgets iirc.
    scotty85 and D-U-R-X like this.
  18. BrutalUK

I just tried the Virtuous Infinity alpha 2 and I'll say its ok. Found it to lag quite often and slow to respond to touch though it can only get better as it's developed more. Still VA for me :)
    scotty85 likes this.
  19. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Maybe you want to try this instead?

Ice Cold Sandwhich is at 8.5, but... no change log. Hhhmmm.

scotty85 likes this.
  20. ral

ral Well-Known Member

My ARDH 6.3.3 is set up pretty close to perfect I think. Installed as recommended, and tweak by freezing some HTC system apps I do not need. Boot with over 300MB of free RAM before all the widgets load up. Nandroid backup verified.

Planned to work on CM7.2 today. But I have been resisting IColdS for so long. No change log... too much mystery... can't resist.

Downloaded... placed on SDCard... crap... md5sum does not match. Downloading again.
  21. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Three failed downloads (nasty weather here today). I think someone is telling me I should stay with CM 7.2 for a bit... :)
  22. BrutalUK

Yep tried that too! Again it was ok, ran quite smoothly but lack of working camera is a problem. Also tried some other ICS ROMS again camera was a problem even using Asbo (something like that) camera. I did work but more than often it would crash taking a picture.
    scotty85 likes this.
  23. D-U-R-X

So I've done it... I have Virtuous installed and am giving it a go. Still not convinced by Sense, but am happy to run with it for a few days! At least I got extra space on Dropbox :)
  24. Shonan

Shonan Well-Known Member

hey there guys long time,

iv bin giving Virtuous a spin for the last couple of days and i do kinda like, (for sense anyway) there are a few tweaks to improve the speed and the camera is working perfect, my only small issue is the battery on seem to get 12-14 hrs with everyday use but a lot of other guys have said they get great battery life so im trying different tweaks to try and improve it so guess time will tell. tho i have to give it its due its still alpha,
    scotty85 likes this.
  25. D-U-R-X

Well... after a couple of days with Virtuous, I haev to say, I'm not overly impressed. Perhaps it's just Sense in general... I'm gonna stick at it for a couple more days, before maybe trying a different Sense ROM (just to see if it really is Sense that I don't like or if it';s just Virtuous).

On the plus side... I have been able to send MMS messages (which I have only been able to do a couple of times since I changed to Vanilla Android) - I think I must just be unlucky in that respect, as I know that most people don't have any issues, unless it doesn't work on the ROM.
    ral and scotty85 like this.