Time to battery drop 10% in 4G

Last Updated:

1. S4A

S4A Active Member This Topic's Starter

How much time it takes for your battery to drop 10% when you're on 4G doing no downloads, no streaming, no Youtubing, nothing?

In my case just 30 min. Complete discharge in approx 4 hours The temperature is very hot too. Do not put it under the pillow.

Plz, check it out, this is ultimately just a 30 min test, and post it here (say to voice dialer "Open battery Info" for battery numbers and temperature instead of bars)

Advertisement
  2. S4A

You can do that no matter if you have 4G in your city or not (probably 90-95% of EVO owners still do not have 4G)

3. iamtybaby

iamtybaby Banned

I have 4g...30 minutes of use. Im around 65 percent from a full battery. 4g is no joke

4. S4A

You have to measure percent before and after 30 min test.

5. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

yes 4g is a battery hog because it can sustain multiple towers at one time... its the price you pay for higher bandwidth

6. S4A

No, that just means bad power management. Tripple the bandwidth --> three times faster the transfer is done. In ideal case of neglecting some overheads that means no substantial increase of battery drainage. Or for sure not by the factor of 30 (!) compared to 3G (20%/hour in 4G vs 0.7%/hour for 3G in my case).

What are your numbers for 30 min test?

7. farva

farva Well-Known Member

100% > 90% in 55 minutes today, with 4G off. Now at 67% after 4hrs and 15 minutes, having barely used it at all today ... good times.

8. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

I am a good coverage area, 2-3 bars of 4g

If I turn on 4g and turn off 3g

3-4 hours on 4g as a modem feeding multiple devices. up time of 6-8 hours

6-7 hours on 4g as a phone browsing and emails etc.. up time of 7-9 hours

On 3g only I can get 6 hours as a modem

on 3g I can get 10-12 hours as a phone

I hope as time pass this will become the minimum standard for 4g phones. If I have 4g on I do not leave 3g on.

9. S4A

Thanks for the respond, but no, this is not what i was asking for. In your case the measurements are strongly influenced by background tasks which differ from user to user. I need much simpler, "limiting" case, what will be as "pure" experiment as possible for 4G radios drainage alone at the minimum activity. Can you plz switch all background activity off for 30 min and measure drainage with 4G ON ?

Any test can not be made simpler than that.

By the way, though YMMV, I do not see any necessity to switch 3G off, since it's complete drainage time to phone auto cut off with its 0.7%/hour is 4 -5 days. And how specifically do you switch 3G off ?

10. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

Wait, I dont think 3G is doing anything when 4G is on, the same way if 3G and 4G are on and you're using wifi. The device can only use on WAN connection at a time.

11. S4A

Guys, do the test, just look at the Battery Info, switch 4G ON and tell me what % battery drop was in 30 minutes.

12. S4A

Do the test!