• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time to Enhance Your Ride...

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
At least back in the 70s...

WP_20170127_004.jpg

(How far back is this? Well, this is from a JC Penny Auto Service ad... which also offered a complete front brake service, including parts and turning the rotors, for only $46.99. By comparison I think the minimum wage was about $2.65/hr.)

I still have an 8 track recorder in my shed somewhere... way in the back.:rolleyes: The players were the first real music option for the auto beyond the standard radio. If you didn't have one, you wanted one, back in the sixties. They were a genuine target for theft. Mounted under the dash with a couple of bolts and one's music library in a bilbo case made for quick and easy removal.
Bilbo case.:oops:

8defefef03accd0d47276315a5b5db09.jpg

On a side note: Doing a search for the old Bilbo case I discovered that the actor that played Bilbo Baggins also played John Watson in the BBC Sherlock production. I love the net.:oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My first car was an 57 Olds super 88. It came with the standard AM radio and a mono speaker. I added the 8 track under the dash and stereo speakers in the rear deck. Cutting those holes for the speakers was near impossible. With the slant of the rear window and the incredible gauge of metal. The car was a tank.

Pic grabbed off the net. My Olds was this gold color.

57-Olds-Super-88_DV-10-GG_004.jpg

Upvote 0
I had a '68 Beetle which was at least 12V although it still had the dreaded swing-axle rear suspension (which was finally replaced with far superior IRS in '69).
It was common for the floor to rot out underneath the right side of the rear seat, because the battery was there so any acid drips/leaks would typically go unnoticed for a long time. If the hole got big enough the battery could depart from the vehicle, obviously not a good situation.

Upvote 0
I sent an email to the Georgia Department of Safety, asking them to comb their archives to find the VIN of my first car: a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville that was originally my grandfather's. If I can locate it and it's still in tolerable shape, I plan to buy it and have it restored to showroom condition. Fingers crossed!

Upvote 0
I sent an email to the Georgia Department of Safety, asking them to comb their archives to find the VIN of my first car: a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville that was originally my grandfather's. If I can locate it and it's still in tolerable shape, I plan to buy it and have it restored to showroom condition. Fingers crossed!

That would be cool if they will give you that information. I can't think of any car that any family member ever had that I'd like to reconnect with. ;)

Upvote 0
That sir is an awesome example of Pontiac power and I highly approve. However, I knew my first marriage was doomed when she said "I think if we're going to be responsible you need to get rid of your goat" (At that time it was my third GTO my banana yellow 1972.)

As an aside, I knew I'd met the perfect woman when my (current - final - wife) said to me If you're going to buy another GTO you probably better do it now. (It had just been announced that Pontiac was officially being shut down.)
OK: Not my 68 but close, not my 72 but close the 69 was mine as was the 05 - owned them in that order 68, 69, 72, 05.
(The 2005 was the one my wife told me to go buy.)
71f1563bd2dd8c01e630b7d28ab8f18b.jpg
P1090287_zpsjqf0xjx3.jpg
1.JPG
100_1807.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I grew up in a Ford/Dodge house. My grandfather was awesome and supportive and helped with my 68 and 69 GTOs though I knew he was never thrilled about it.

My official first car was a barn worn 71 mustang Mach 1 we rebuilt together starting when I was 14. I drove it leagally 3 times and then it was sold to a friend of his shortly after I turned 16. I drove his old F-150 until we found the 68 GTO. The best part of that was Grandpa and I each put in 500 bucks on buying the mustang, he funded the rebuild but we split the $6000 we got out of it and that funded the GTO. I did get the hot rod bug from my dad. He had a 63 sport fury with a hemi. I'll see if I can find a pic of that. I've always wanted one just cause I always loved the pictures I got to see if it. Dad died when I was 11 months old so the hot rod thing is nature not nurture.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones