Time To Learn

Last Updated:

1. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I started with a D1, rooted it,overclocked it and ran several roms and never used my PC. Never had any serious issues. Due to a chain of events I now have a D2, rooted it, removed bloatware and run custom themes. I finally decided to Deodex it, the first time my PC was needed, and this required me to use the ADB shell within SDK tools. All went well, but brings me to this-
    Can someone point me in the direction needed to become more comfortable using my PC and command lines. The time may come when all I have is my PC to unbrick a phone or for emergency use.
    Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

One thing you could do - go through the process of unbricking your phone now, when you don't have to. Then when you have to and would have been in a panic you'll be you'll be calm and cool.

Droid 2 sbf - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I SBF'd my D1 (and refurbs) any number of times, and it really helped me to feel comfortable that I could deal with any issue/emergency.

Just make a nandroid backup of your current setup before you start...then all you need to do is SBF back to stock, root, install CW recovery, and restore your current setup.

crg31953 likes this.
  3. crg31953

Thanks for the advice! If you SBF a file to your phone do you use SDK or RSD Lite and if both are capable is one better than the other? Thanks Again:)

4. Redflea

You have to use RSD Lite, and you do it from the boot loader...which means boot up the Droid while holding the Up arrow on the slider keyboard...then connect to PC via usb.

5. crg31953

Thanks Again, Time To Learn (practice):D

Thanks to Titanium Backup it should make it easier.

6. Redflea

Even better - absolutely required - make a nandroid backup before you do anything.

7. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Well-Known Member

You have to get an an app from the market to do the nandroid backup thing. It is 2.00 and named Droid 2 Bootstrap.

This link will get you all the files already deoxed. You just install per instructions from the sd card using ADB.
    Droid 2 Deodex and Zip Aligned System & Framework Files - xda-developers

Another link that makes it easier:
    [HOW-TO] Easy deodex (without wiping your phone) - Droid X Releases - AllDroid Public Board - [HOW-TO] Easy deodex (without wiping your phone) - Droid X Releases - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

8. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Organize nandroids by renaming them so you know which recovery is which. Makes it easy down the road.

crg31953 likes this.