• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Time to Update to 4.0.4

maltexx

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
I received the notification to update to 4.0.4 this morning (the pop-up that says Install now, Install later, Not Now). I clicked install now and another pop up says that the system has to reboot. The system automatically reboots and the white Google appears on the black background, but its been like that for 15-20 minutes now. I'm entirely stock but I was wondering how long its taken other people for the installation or what's going on with my phone right now.

I have a gut feeling something is going wrong, but I don't know whether its downloading/installing at this point or if I should pull the battery.

Thanks for any help!

hmm, I forced the update so maybe that's why mine worked differently. Honestly I think you guys are good to go on a battery pull... that doesn't mean i'm going to buy you a new one if it bricks but if it were me, i would pull the battery.

To repeat: I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone, but if I were you I would pull the battery and try again if its been more than 20+ mins. My $.02

Upvote 0
hmm, I forced the update so maybe that's why mine worked differently. Honestly I think you guys are good to go on a battery pull... that doesn't mean i'm going to buy you a new one if it bricks but if it were me, i would pull the battery.

To repeat: I'm not responsible for what happens to your phone, but if I were you I would pull the battery and try again if its been more than 20+ mins. My $.02

Dude, I took your advice and pulled the battery. Shortly thereafter the phone exploded. Thanks a lot!!! I'll expect full reimbursement, I'll PM you for details. ;)

That whole fiasco drained it down to 32%. As my luck would have it I forgot my charger at home, so I don't think the phone's gonna be lasting through the day.

Upvote 0
I ended up doing a battery pull and was able to boot into 4.0.2, which at this point is fine.

I found this on a different msg board and its about the GSM version of the nexus (I have the LTE) and it implies that a botched installation of 4.0.2 made it so a working recovery image was never created.

[SOLVED] Completely stock GSM Galaxy Nexus -- 4.0.4 update stuck at Google screen - xda-developers

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about the inner workings of this phone, so I don't know if this is total BS.

So if anyone has any advise on how to get around this issue please let me know. My only limitation is I can't root because I need to use the phone for my work email and the admins block that.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones