• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time-traveller caught on film using a cell phone in the '20s?

I'd change three of these. :)

which is more interesting: 2
which is more scary: 3
which do I hope it is: 2

time travel is the more scary option.. if you think what that means in the big picture of the universe. the power it posses.. for those that want to abuse it.

what it means to free will.. if you can travel to the future..
what it means to everything.. if you can go back and mess things up... in so many ways...

Upvote 0
I don't see an object in her hand.. I think she's just fixing her hat or playing with her hair. Perhaps she is just chewing gum (Did they have that in 1928?) that makes it look like she's talking.

Also, think about it:

Who would she be talking to? how would she get service?

Well, one could argue that if she has the technology to travel back in time, she may not need cell towers or a network to communicate with "others of her kind". :D

Upvote 0
The device she was using could well have been one of these. Siemens Hearing Instruments - Our History 'Siemens patent for a compact, pocket sized carbon microphone/amplifier device suitable for pocket instruments.' ...patented in 1924.
1924-pic01.jpg
...looks familiar.

As for who she was talking to. I would say either the guy walking in front of her or the zebra with the saddle.

If it was a time travelled mobile phone, she would definitely be talking to herself, there been no mobile networks in 1928.

yep - seems like this is the answer... but of course, notice how after this response was given, people ignored it opting for the extra-terrestrial, or time travel options. This is how rumors and conspiracy theories about places like Area 51 and the JFK assassination get started. Sometimes the truth is just so boring people don't want to believe it

Upvote 0
yep - seems like this is the answer... but of course, notice how after this response was given, people ignored it opting for the extra-terrestrial, or time travel options. This is how rumors and conspiracy theories about places like Area 51 and the JFK assassination get started. Sometimes the truth is just so boring people don't want to believe it

i saw it...just not the most enjoyable option to talk about!

but what is she using it for during walking?
who is she talking to..using a hearing aid?

so if it is a hearing aid...and she is talking to it.. using up the batteries... then it is my option (1)..crazy woman

Upvote 0
As someone said before, if you have the technology to travel back in time, you would also have the technology to talk to people back where you came from.

So some say that Chaplin did this joke on purpose. I don't doubt for a second that Chaplin would pull this sort of gag (anyone seen Modern Times?). But I don't think a random lady walking in the background holding a box to her head and talking to herself is the best way to trick a future audience into thinking they see time travelers. (this is assuming Chaplin knowingly did this as a gag). I think he would do something a little more impressive or obvious than that. Now if it was some random lady from the future walking on to a set that was likely guarded by security (given Chaplin's fame, I would assume there was security of some sort), I think that is just as unlikely.

Upvote 0
Sad and pathetic that this would make the news. Nice to see fox and CNN so on the ball about the important issues of our day, and not concerning themselves with ridiculous crackpot notions.

Come to think of it, that's what they've always done.

I agree! But seeing how many posted in this thread and seeing how there were at least two threads started about it, I guess they're reporting what people want to hear. Maybe everyone was as sick of the political ads as I was. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones