• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tip - "HOW DO I" Settings with Android

next question:
Under clock when i tap on the world clock it has 2 cities,
shows:

Current
America/Detriot with a time window
Mon 14 jun 2010

Home
Arlington with a time window
Today

i would like to delete the America/Detroit info is that possible?

That one is set up by the system. If you are using location on then it will be there. It will update depending on the city you are in. You might be able to delete it if you go into the weather app and remove it. I think that will remove it from the clock app as well. I would try it accept I want mine there.

OK I tried it lol. Looks like if you turn off use wireless networks in the location settings it will take current out of the weather but not the clock. Have not seen a place to delete current from the clock. Not sure why you want to get rid of it though. If you change cities it will auto update for you wherever you are.

Upvote 0
Yes, but with the program, I don't have to put the profile on silent when I turn the phone off and back to normal when I turn it back on.

That's cools. I was just letting people know you don't have to have an app to achieve the same thing result. I know myself if I don't need an app why waist the space. That's all.

Upvote 0
I did some searching and found some useful informations. Looks like if you wanted to link your facebook contacts you could and it will update the pictures and stuff. You may want to search it more to find out more. I don't use linking myself.

It will also link your contacts, if say, you have a person with two or three different email addresses (work, personal1, personal2, etc) or phone numbers and the were transferred or input as separate contacts. You will also get the link icon if you try and enter as a contact, someone you have added to GTalk, or the Talk app.

If you tap the link icon it will combine all the info into a single contact.

Reactions: SirSlayer
Upvote 0
That one is set up by the system. If you are using location on then it will be there. It will update depending on the city you are in. You might be able to delete it if you go into the weather app and remove it. I think that will remove it from the clock app as well. I would try it accept I want mine there.

OK I tried it lol. Looks like if you turn off use wireless networks in the location settings it will take current out of the weather but not the clock. Have not seen a place to delete current from the clock. Not sure why you want to get rid of it though. If you change cities it will auto update for you wherever you are.

i wouldn't mind the current setting if it was correct.
I live just outside of Washington DC, no were near Detroit
and the time for Detroit is the same as the time for here in Arlington VA.
Isn't there a time difference between these two cities?
that seems to be the only thing i cant figure out is how to delete the Current under the world time, when i go to the menu there is a delete button but it is greyec out.
oh well if someone figure this out please let me know.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I am trying to figure out, once you download a ringer or notification, is there a way to delete these when you get tired of them and want to remove them.

If its a custom ringtone you should be able to just delete it from the SD card and it wont show up as an options to select them. If its a built in Ringtone I am sure it can be done but would require root. I don't have the directory information right now for how to remove default ones. I am sure if you do a search for removing stock ringtones on XDA-Developers you might find something. For the custom loaded ones refer to the first post for the directory locations and were to put them, that will also be were you delete them from.

Welcome to the forums ;)

Also - If you want to save the ringtone but not use it then just change the notification that its associated with.

Upvote 0
Thanks thought I saw it in one of the many many many battery threads but searching is not working. I think my eyes are gonna fall out.:eek:

LOL..... I know the feeling. I know there is a setting for keeping the phone awake when charging. You think you might be confusing the setting? That one is at:
Menu/settings/applications/development/stay awake.

Upvote 0
No not confusing the two. I read it here the day I joined and did it. But due to my evo not showing all media to attach to an email master reset the phone today and now I'm back to square one setting it all up again and can't remember. I subscribed to the thread but in my haste I didn't confirm the subscription before logging out. DOH stupid Dan! well i gotta go to bed running on empty daughter has been sick and up every couple of hrs it's gonna be a long day at the firehouse 2mara. If you find or not thanks for your help. GdNight

Upvote 0
first off...thanks for this thread. it's really helpful.

I have 2 questions about texting.
1)How do I set custom notification ringtones for each of my contacts? I get a lot of texts from many different people and like for each of them to have their own ringtone. I should add that I'm wanting to use my own personal ringtones for the customized notifications.

2)When I select the contact list for a new message, I get hundreds of listings. I get 3 or 4 for each person sometimes too. It will list all of their phone numbers and email addresses from my contact list, gmail, and facebook. How do I get this list to be the same as my People list and only show their mobile phone numbers?

Upvote 0
first off...thanks for this thread. it's really helpful.

I have 2 questions about texting.
1)How do I set custom notification ringtones for each of my contacts? I get a lot of texts from many different people and like for each of them to have their own ringtone. I should add that I'm wanting to use my own personal ringtones for the customized notifications.

2)When I select the contact list for a new message, I get hundreds of listings. I get 3 or 4 for each person sometimes too. It will list all of their phone numbers and email addresses from my contact list, gmail, and facebook. How do I get this list to be the same as my People list and only show their mobile phone numbers?

First off I want to welcome you to the forums. We will help you as much as we can. On to your questions:

1. You can not do this with the stock SMS application, but! you can do this with Handcent. Its a free application from the market and has many many customizations. To set personal RT for each contact in Handcent: Goto the contact messaging thread in Handcent, Select the little gear in the top right hand corner of the window. Then select Notification settings. Set the Ringtone for that person there. You can test the ring tone as well.

2. This was a bug that was introduced in Android 2.1. I had the same issue with my Droid Eris and Sprint Hero. All we can do on that one is hope that it gets fixed with 2.2.

Upvote 0
hey thanks for getting back to me so soon.
installed handcent and figured all that out. thanks for the easy to follow directions. now I just have to get my personal ringtones on the phone.

I was able to figure out that if I link all the same contacts together and set the defaults like image to what I want, several of the extras disappear from the sms contact list. however it looks like handcent cleared that problem up for me too

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones