Tips and Trick

Last Updated:

1. randy_c

randy_c Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am new at using android so new tips and trick would be appreciated.

Thansk

Advertisement
  2. tomhorn

tomhorn Member

Tip #1 ... take the time to read the through the forum. You'll find hundreds.

3. tysj

tysj Well-Known Member

Or even the quick start guide.

4. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Check out the Swype keyboard. It's already on your captivate, you just need to go to settings to enable it.

When you are on the home page there is a notification bar at the top that you can pulldown to do things like see updates, turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, etc.

When you get an incoming call you see a screen with a green button on the left and a red button on the right. You need to swipe the green button to the right to answer. The first time I got a call I couldn't figure it out. I just kept pressing it like a moron. I'm used to having an actual call button I guess.

By default I don't think you can't cut and paste anything out of files that are on your phone. You need to install a file manger like Astro or Estrong to do that. One of the first things I did with the phone was copy a file with my wpa key onto the phone over USB so I wouldn't have to type it manually. I was able to see the file but the default file browser wouldn't let me copy the key data. I wasn't able to figure that out so I just typed in manually anyways which was a pain. I just had to do a hard reset of the phone over the weekend and the Astro file manager was the first thing I installed so I wouldn't have to re-type it.

The menu button (the one on the far left) is used for lots of things. If you are trying to do something and you can't figure out what button you need to press, try using the menu button and see if your function is there.

antol11 likes this.
  5. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Good post. I'd add the above, a tap-hold is also used for quite a few things. You'll get dialogs for opening, edit, delete - it's how you move apps from the grid to a home screen and shortcuts/widgets around the home screens too.

6. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Page 4 on the "Post your home screens" thread has a QR code for downloading "Fancy Widget" which has is HTC sense like clock and weather widget that looks really nice. Its a good option if you are using TouchWiz, I didn't like the other clock widgets.

Samsung has a couple of useful apps on the app store, car home and desk home. The car home just shows a limited menu for stuff you would need while driving, google maps, voice search, etc. Desk home is similar and shows a big clock, its good for turning your $200 smart phone into a desk clock. I think you search for "Samsung" to find them.

Appbrain app is really useful. When I hard to hard reset my phone it kept a list of all my apps and I was able to download them all again really quickly instead of trying to search through the app store for them.

Oh yea, one more tip, download a barcode scanner app so you can install apps using QR codes.

7. gybryant

gybryant Member

When you drag an icon to the bottom of your home screen, it removes it from the home screen. If drag the icon down and hold it there for a few seconds, it uninstalls it. Kinda nifty.