Tips and Tricks I learned the hard way today.Tips

1. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

I picked up the Thrill today at Costco for $29.99. Not a bad phone. It's growing on me. It's MUCH heavier than the captivate. Not much thicker, surprisingly, but still bigger.

1) The "SuperOneClick" rooting method found found in this thread at XDA does work, and it offers an unroot also.

2) Titanium backup wouldn't restore backups I'd made on my Captivate that was running a Gingerbread ROM. It'll restore the *data* of the app, but won't restore the app. Gotta use appbrain or the web market to install the apps, then use titanium backup to restore the data.

3) Do not restore Titanium backups of system files of another phone on this phone. I did that accidentally and broke my phone's ability to scan for wifi access points. I had to factory reset to get it to work again.

4) WARNING: Factory reset also wipes the internal SD card. Surprise! Ugh.

5) LG has the USB drivers on their website. You can get them at this link:
    http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LGAndroidDriver_Ver_1.0_All.exe

6) That sucking sound is power being drawn from your battery. Get used to it.

7) FYI some people are saying Costco has a 90-day return policy. That is true, Costco will take it back after 30 days, but if you return it after those 30 days, AT&T will hit you with an early termination fee. AT&T's policy is 30 days return/exchange on their contract and Costco's in-house return policy doesn't alter that.

8) Never mind on the GPS. It worked perfectly the next day.

Advertisement
    :
    Mr. Ed likes this.
  2. cubinthecity

cubinthecity Active Member

Yeah, the sucking sound is definitely the battery. Ive even popped Juice Defender on this without any help. This baby is definitely going back tomorrow. Hate to say it, but this was my last round with android phones. Windows phone I go!
  3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

anyone find out how to reset the phone without powering it down completly?
  4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Like a soft reset or a factory reset?
  5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Yes. a soft reset .
  6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

7. maerlim

I don't disagree with returning it, but would recommend trying the galaxy-s2 before jumping from android entirely.
  8. maerlim

By the way I edited my open to include the GPS has been almost as bad as the captivate. That's limited testing though. I'll try to play with it more today.
  9. Gr8Danes

Gr8Danes Well-Known Member

I tested my GPS this morning, and flawless. Just like my Atrix.
  10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

tried mine again to my wifi and was hesitant. Tried on the network and found it asap!
  11. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This thread looks like it could be very helpful. Unless there are any objections, consider it stickied.
  12. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Restoring apps and apps with data for select games works flawlessly, I am not sure why you are having issues with restoring.

I am working on incorporating some tweaks we have been using on the Infuse that speed everything up and may help on the battery side. It's pretty much copy and paste using root explorer but I need another day or two on this to make sure it isn't breaking something else..

The battery is not draining any faster on my Thrill than it is on my Infuse. To take a phone back after 1 day due to battery is a bit absurd but it sounds like You really want a Windows phone so go for it!

Super One Click does in fact work, thank you for posting the drivers!

I don't yet have a working custom recovery, so if anyone finds something there let me know. Using the Optimus V recovery was a no go. Trying to reboot into recovery and bootloader do absolutely nothing.

Haven't had any GPS issues but still testing.
    Gr8Danes likes this.
  13. maerlim

I tested GPS again today while on wifi at my house and it was perfect. Probably a fluke yesterday.

Not a problem with the phone but at&t, but my download speed is the same as my captivate. 512K-1mb/s. Ick. H+ is lit up.
  14. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

at&t wanna be 4g network
  15. CountZer0

CountZer0 Member

Rooted mine with the instructions above. Everything went well!
  16. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

will rooting cause me to not recieve the gingerbread update?
  17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Typically only applying a custom recovery will prevent you from updating.

Fyi ...3 hrs 40 minutes and battery is still at 80%

I have not applied the tweaks yet to this testing period :)
  18. Gr8Danes

Mr. Ed,

Have you tried the Optimus 3D's recovery image for CWM? Is it compatible with ours do you know?

ROM Manager
  19. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I tried that one but I will check that one out.

On another note.. 20+ hours on the battery ...heavy use today including showing off the 3d and just hit 30%

I will try and get the tweaks posted by tomorrow this time
  20. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Let us know it secrets grasshopper!
  21. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

posting in the root section, as root is required for these tweaks
  22. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Alright.
  23. Komodo Rogue

Komodo Rogue Well-Known Member

Just a heads up if you're coming from an Atrix, the backups I made on an at&t Atrix on titanium backup worked fine (obviously not system apps though). I didn't try restoring data though, so tread carefully, backup first etc.
  24. Gr8Danes

I restored apps and data and had no problems. (just not system data)
  25. maerlim

Was the Atrix you were restoring from on Gingerbread? I seem to remember a problem with TiBu regarding backups between Froyo and Gingerbread.