• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips for a previous iPhone owner.

binaryblitz

May 27, 2010
As I slow mark off the days on my calendar while waiting for my precious Evo, I've started thinking that I don't know as much about Android and the respective apps as I'd like to. So.... What apps do you like the most? As a previous iPhone owner, what should I download first? what should I know about Android in general, etc. Thanks in advance for everything! Peace guys!

I've had a version of the iPhone since launch day back in 2007. I loved the phone when it came out, and really loved the 3g. With everything that Android can do now, and has a hardware manufacturer like HTC behind them, there is no denying that the Evo will be the best phone (with the Incredible a close second IMO) on the market. Sure the iPhone HD will be gorgeous, but looks without functionality is like dating a dumb blonde. Sure she's fun for a while, and everyone thinks she's gorgeous, but after awhile you need someone with a little personality. Know what I mean? Anyways... I appreciate any help that yall can give. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just a few.... For sure download all the Google apps.. Google Goggles, Google Voice, maps (should be pre installed), Shopper, and then maybe Google Translate if you ever have a need for that, and Google Sky Map is just cool. Barcode Scanner is a quick and easy reader, and then go through and look for apps you may have already had on iPhone and liked... Urbanspoon, Flixster, etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks SpiritFun, I look forward to it. If you remember, would you mind PMing me when you have it? I'd appreciate it! :) and thanks rjjr2531, thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for too, just names of what people use so that when I have my Evo I can just come here and start downloading stuff. :D Is it friday yet?

Upvote 0
Thanks SpiritFun, I look forward to it. If you remember, would you mind PMing me when you have it? I'd appreciate it! :) and thanks rjjr2531, thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for too, just names of what people use so that when I have my Evo I can just come here and start downloading stuff. :D Is it friday yet?

Just an FYI all the things you would download would be from the Android Market directly on your phone with a few exceptions so you would be coming here and downloading anything. I think you knew that but just pointing it out

Upvote 0
Definitely barcode scanner. You'll see tons of sites (I like androlib.com) which showcase android apps and to download the app you can just scan the QR code. I tried appbrain but had a lot of issues with force quitting and connection errors. Sounds like a lot of people don't have those problems though so you may as well try it out. Most of the google apps are just toys at this point IMO (goggles, skymap, etc) but are fun for a few minutes. If you have a google voice account then the app for it is great. It integrates into your phone so well and you can set the dialer to make calls with it by default or to ask you when you make a call. I love it. I use flixster a lot, the engadget app, dropbox, NewsRob (google reader app, comparable to netnewswire on iPhone), FMyLife Official, TFLN, Layar is a cool one (augmented reality app), Paper Toss is a fun kill a few minutes type game, I love Abduction! if you want a DoodleJump type game (plus there's a free version), TMZ, oh, and last but not least, TicketTalker 3000 (the app from the 76 commercials).

Upvote 0
Definitely barcode scanner. You'll see tons of sites (I like androlib.com) which showcase android apps and to download the app you can just scan the QR code. I tried appbrain but had a lot of issues with force quitting and connection errors. Sounds like a lot of people don't have those problems though so you may as well try it out. Most of the google apps are just toys at this point IMO (goggles, skymap, etc) but are fun for a few minutes. If you have a google voice account then the app for it is great. It integrates into your phone so well and you can set the dialer to make calls with it by default or to ask you when you make a call. I love it. I use flixster a lot, the engadget app, dropbox, NewsRob (google reader app, comparable to netnewswire on iPhone), FMyLife Official, TFLN, Layar is a cool one (augmented reality app), Paper Toss is a fun kill a few minutes type game, I love Abduction! if you want a DoodleJump type game (plus there's a free version), TMZ, oh, and last but not least, TicketTalker 3000 (the app from the 76 commercials).

Thanks for this! I can't wait for friday to try everything out!

Upvote 0
I have never used an Android device, but I am confident that my experience with the EVO will far exceed my expectations.
I was a lover of the iphone for a few years, but I just got tired of it. The iphone hype is not worth it in the end.
Not sure which apps I will get, but being a tech, I'm sure to find what I will be needing. I have looked through Appbrain, and already saw plenty of apps that will be installed on the EVO.
Android seems to be a very good OS, and I will be looking also to the xda community to help make my experience with it worthwhile.

cheers! and Happy EVO 4G to all. Friday is our day to make history!!! -:)

Upvote 0
Also leaving the iPhone.

I had 3 apps that I paid for get removed from the marketplace which meant when i updated they were removed from my phone. I was out about $15 and two of them I use almost daily.

Luckily both authors re-released their apps for free jailbroken iphones and I was able to get them again, but I've been very sour since.

Looking forward to the EVO, hoping it lives up to the hype. If not I'll just go get an incredible (though the phones are about identical in performance so i'm sure the EVO will rock)

Upvote 0
geese im getting app ideas too...

-your also going to want a good battery status widget. i suggest battery status free

-a good weather app with a nice widget...weatherbug OR weatherchannel will give you many widget options and they are both nice

-dialer one is a nice keypad replacememnt with ton of customizations

-word up! its a greeeeat game thats not on iphone. play with 1-4 ppl not online, but its a great game trust me

WORLD OF WIDGETS AND CUSTOMIZING! i love it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones