• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips for Extending your Dell Streak Battery

How to get the most out of your Dell Streak Battery’s charge.

The first week that I had my phone was a little discouraging. It seemed that I couldn’t go a whole day without my battery dying on me. I hadn’t even used the phone that much and yet, even in standby mode, it kept draining.

After a trip back to the store and conducting a little research, I finally discovered that there were some things I could do to extend its charge.

1. The first thing that had to be done – I needed to upgrade to Android 2.2. The phone came pre-installed with 1.6. Apparently this version doesn’t do well with battery conservation, so that was the first step.

Not only did that improve my battery, but it totally improved my experience. Android 2.2 is so much more intuitive and just has a more appealing look and feel. After updating the software, it felt like I had a new phone all over again!

2. Install the Advanced Task Killer app or SystemPanel Lite task manager (System Panel was suggested to me by a friend in the Android Forums).

The free version of the app works just fine at closing those tasks that you don’t realize are still open in the background draining your Dell Streak battery. It periodically kills open applications on your phone, but I also suggest doing it manually before putting your phone in standby mode.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
You will see things good and bad about App Killers, I have tried them, but currently don't use one.

Things you can do to improve your battery after 2.2 are:

1. Changing the screen sleep time
2. Turn off your 3G so it isn't "searching for a signal"
3. Shut down app that do allot of polling or reduce their polling frequency.
4. Reduce poll frequency on email apps
5. Turn the brightness down on your screen

Upvote 0
I've always found the best way to improve battery life is to have the power widget on the home screen and toggle services on and off when you need to use them.

However, I've now started to use JuiceDefender and it is so good I upgraded to the Ultimate (paid) version within hours of using it. Many times now it has saved my battery. I get x1.5-2.0 battery improvement (so apps says).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones