tips for factory reset after OTA?Tips

Last Updated:

1. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that the OTA is coming, I'm guessing a lot of us will do a factory reset after update to Froyo. I'm wondering if someone can give some tips regarding what to do before and after the factory reset, including but not limited to the following:

0. how to do a factory reset?
    1. to reinstall apps (is appbrain the best way?).
    2. to keep personal/contact info (will Google contact sync keep everything on the phone?).
    3. to keep desktop/widget setup (e.g. LLP backup and restore tips).
    4. any Droid X specific quirk?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
  2. usb

usb Member

I am wondering the same.

3. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

Ummmm... why? No need to do a factory reset unless you experience problems. The majority of people wont experience problems or their problems wont be fixed by factory reset. This is not Windows Mobile.

4. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I saw a few posts suggesting a factory reset after update to Froyo as the only clean way to do it. That's why I was wondering. Guess I could give it a few days and see if there's any problem.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

True, I don't plan on doing a FR unless absolutely necessary. I'll make sure I have Appbrain all up to date and do a LP backup before doing the OTA, but that's just in case. GMail should sync up all your contacts, so I don't see a problem there.

Oh, with Appbrain, there is one thing you should do before doing a FR. When you back it up, it goes into a list called "Apps on Phone". When you do an FR, it will then look at your phone, see no apps, and clear that list. So make a second list (you have to do this from a PC), and copy all the apps from the on the phone list into the new list (I called my Hard Reset List). Then, after the FR, copy that list back into the apps on phone list, and that should do it. I've only read about this, never had to go past the point of making the second list (haven't done an FR), but better safe than sorry. But really, an FR shouldn't be necessary for the update.

bradz, gfsincere and simollie like this.
  6. Hrethgir

Got my Froyo pushed to my phone today, install went perfectly smooth, and did not have to do a factory reset. All my settings and widgets stayed where they were and still work like they used to. Totally painless.

7. roadrunr

roadrunr Member

Ok I`m new to all this tech talk and just got my DX yesterday(my1st smarter-than-me) phone:D.

What is OTA and what can it do.

8. Hrethgir

Over The Air, it's how they update Android. Apple does it with a software download on iTunes that you have to sync with your iPhone, but with Android, it's all done wirelessly. As for what it can do, all it does is update your phone from 2.1 to 2.2.

9. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I would think once it loads it's set to where it needs to be. I did NOT do any reset on mine and have experienced NONE of the problems people are talking about. Absolutely none. I'm not gonna "look for" any problems either, if you catch my drift.

10. Xman007

Xman007 Well-Known Member

i'm also worried about my text messages. i don't want to loose them. what is the difference between 2.2, froyo, 2.3.15?

11. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

They are all three the same. Froyo is the code name for the update (frozen yogurt, they are all named after desserts), 2.2 is the Android version (software), 2.3.15 is the system version of 2.2 for the phone itself.