Tips for Keeping the Incredible in Top FormGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that most modern smartphones are basically tiny computing platforms, it is essential that special attention be paid to insuring one's device performs smoothly and provides a long life of service.

Coming from a Blackberry, terms like "hard reset" and "battery pull" are common practice referring to methods employed to keep the unit running well.

I'd like to discuss what are believed to be necessary means to do this with our new phone -- whether it be battery pulls, cache cleaning, etc.

Since this phone is a mammoth of a device, I am sure that the occasional "house cleaning" is in order.

What do YOU plan to do to keep your device running like it did out of the box?

Thanks. :)

Advertisement
  2. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

Not dropping it. I have a habit of dropping my phones.

3. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

As I was downloading and trying various apps last night, I wondered exactly this. Thank you for asking it for me.

On a CPU, every program you download, install and uninstall leaves a little bit behind (registry, fragments, etc). Is that the case on a smartphone? Should I limit what I download and install to only those apps that I plan on using?

4. Scooter70

Scooter70 Well-Known Member

As a followup, is it possible/easy to "reformat" or wipe the phone to return it to stock? Since Gmail, contacts, etc are all sync'd to the cloud I would think that a wipe, re-sync, and reinstall apps would be the quickest way to clean up the phone and eliminate fragments that might still be hanging around the OS.

5. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

it is easy to wipe an Android device, and all of your apps and contacts and calendar are all backed up, you have to reenter your email address but its very easy

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

6. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Good question, I was wondering the same. I was honestly so sick of doing the battery pulls on my BB's.

7. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

One thing that I think a lot of people forget about are SMS's. Ask people over in the Eris forum about letting SMS's pile up then trying to delete them.

Moral of the story: Keep your messages tidy. ;)

8. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

Omg yes, I don't understand why it takes so long to delete text messages, even just 100 or so, I use handcent because the stock HTC message app take forever just to load, I hope this gets fixed in the incredible!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

9. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

Good tip, Also helps phone speed to delete your call history from time to time.

10. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

you name says it all.........:D.............

EDIT: You have to delete SMS messages one at a time? You can't delete a bunch at once?

11. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

android does leave folders behind on your SD card when u delete an app.

12. ParinoidAndroid

ParinoidAndroid Member

You need to delete the whole thread in thread view on the messager

13. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

twice already and it's been like 15 hours.
    once in our rec room thank goodness it was carpet. then when getting my key card out to get into the comp lab i broke it's fall with my shoe though

14. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks all for the input.

So what would some recommend as simple method of cleaning the device say, on a weekly basis?

I'd prefer not to do battery pulls but if that's the best way to keep the device in good working order, I suppose that's what I'll have to do.

15. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

That's why, as much as I loathe them, I went out and bought a case w/ belt holster thingie at the Verizon store. My Zagg screen protector should also be here any day now.

Then when one of those super rugged cases comes out, I'll make the move to one of those and never have to worry about cracking a screen or camera lens again :D (short of dropping it more than 6 feet).