• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips n Tricks thread.

Hello guys and gals...

New here, and to android (Been with Nokias for over 10yrs!) so hello all :D

Thought I'd share some tips with you... Top 3 (as a lot has already been covered)

1. When you add a "picture frame" widget to your android it will, by default, load in portrait mode. Press and hold the picture and yellow lines will show around the screen. At the bottom right of your pic, you'll see a grey tab. Hold and move the tab to change the size of the picture frame widget.

2. When watching a video, tap the power button once to lock the touchscreen. No more pressing a button by mistake :)

3. Google easter egg for you guys and gals ;)

Go to settings > about phone > and tap "android version" 5 times for a secret picture ;)

SilverDroid

Upvote 0
Hello guys and gals...

New here, and to android (Been with Nokias for over 10yrs!) so hello all :D

Thought I'd share some tips with you... Top 3 (as a lot has already been covered)

1. When you add a "picture frame" widget to your android it will, by default, load in portrait mode. Press and hold the picture and yellow lines will show around the screen. At the bottom right of your pic, you'll see a grey tab. Hold and move the tab to change the size of the picture frame widget.

2. When watching a video, tap the power button once to lock the touchscreen. No more pressing a button by mistake :)

3. Google easter egg for you guys and gals ;)

Go to settings > about phone > and tap "android version" 5 times for a secret picture ;)

SilverDroid

Your second point! Didn't know that. Shall be using that next time I'm watching something.
A

and OMG it actually works!!!!!! (although I did just start spamming/rapidly tapping) because 5 taps didn't work for me!! :eek::eek: Zombie Art by Jack Larson. :eek:

Upvote 0
When you have sent a text message to people, if you click on the speech bubbles you get the following options pop up

Delete Message
Copy Message text
Lock message
Forward
Copy to SIM
View Message Details

Hi this may be a stupid questions, but I am really curious as to what the Lock message does, it does not password protect the message, that I checked. So what exactly is its function ?

Upvote 0
True though it still gives you the option to delete locked messages.

Though say you had a long convo history with a particular person but needed to keep certain messages... you could lock them individually.. then delete the thread without the "delete locked messages" being enabled.. I.e. dont tick it. And you wont have to scroll through hundreds of messages to get to the "important" ones. I doubt most use this feature anyway?

Reactions: Unam
Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but there's a way to take screenshots on a non-rooted S2. Simply hold the home key and the power key down for a few seconds, let go and the screen capture will save to your gallery. It's a bit tricky at first. You'll know it worked because a little message will come up at the bottom of the screen and you'll feel your phone vibrate a little.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones