Tips needed for screen scratch removal...Support

Last Updated:

1. tamaramarrero

tamaramarrero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have had my evo for about maybe 3 months, anyways I had a screen protector on it but I took it off for one day since I had ordered new ones. And I dropped my Evo :( And got 2 little scratches on the screen. Not deep at all. But they're annoying. Is there any way to get rid of them without paying for a new replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Nope, you cant remove scratches.

3. SB22

SB22 Well-Known Member

I don't know this first hand, but many people have said that small scratches are not visible once you put a screen protector on back on. Give that a try first.

4. April_Fool_79

April_Fool_79 Well-Known Member

Depending on the length and depth of the scratch, they generally aren't. I have one small one that I can *JUST* barely see if I hold my phone at the correct angle to the light, and can *JUST* barely feel if I drag my nail across the screen over it, but when the screen protector went on, you can't see it at all.

5. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

I feel your pain. I had full body protection on my old touch pro which never had a scratch on it. The screen protector peeled off and within 15 minutes there were 3 deep scratches. If the scratch is very slight, there are glass polishes that should remove it. If you can feel it even slightly when you run a finger nail over it, you're out of luck. Go the screen protector route or if out really bugs you and you're ambitious, replace the screen. Good luck!

6. tamaramarrero

tamaramarrero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you guys! I will be ordering a new screen protector and hopefully that will do the trick!

7. big_z

big_z Well-Known Member

Something I've found that works OK on CD's and DVD's (including Xbox 360 games) is cleaning the thing really well (preferably with some kind of polishing agent) and then applying a thin layer of something with carnauba wax in it. Back in the day they made 2 stage CD cleaning kits with a polisher liquid and carnauba wax, but I've also tried it with carnauba-containing car wax (I haven't tried the 100% synthetic car waxes on CD's or DVD's).

What you would do is apply a thin layer of wax and wait for it to dry. The dry test is taking your finger and dragging it through the wax, across the surface; if the trail left on the surface by your finger appears clean, it's dry. If the trail appears streaky, it's still wet. Once it's dry, buff the wax out with a microfiber cloth, preferably. This will take some elbow grease.

Now, I've never tried this on a touch-sensitive screen, only optical disks (and cars). The wax could dork up the touch sensitive properties, so be mindful of that. Unless the scratch is really deep, the wax should fill in the scratch and make it harder to see. After that I think I'd put a screen protector on. Normally I think screen protectors are a waste of money, but in this case it probably would be helpful because otherwise the wax would get rubbed off simply from using the phone.

8. mannee

mannee Member

I've heard peanut works on optical discs. Might it work on a touch screen phones as well? Anybody heard the peanut butter "thing"? Anybody try it?

9. chrischoi

chrischoi Well-Known Member

I highly recommend XtremeGuard.

http://xtremeguard.com

He also sells on eBay. Screen protector is $2.49 shipped.
    Better than invisibleSHIELD.

10. mannee

mannee Member

I'm talking about repairing scratches, not preventing them.

11. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Removing scratches from plastic CD's and older resistive touch screens is not the same as glass capacitive screens. Not even close. I doubt coating the screen in wax is going to work well long term either. If anyone tries it, I'd really like to know the results.