Tips & TricksTips

1. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

HTC.com - U.S. | HTC One (M8) User Manual .pdf Guide
    HTC.com - U.S. | HTC One (M8) Support - FAQs

Ran across a few new tips and tricks:
    • I was browsing through the User Manual from HTC and noticed that the volume buttons can now be utilized by the native camera and software without the need for a secondary application. This is a very nice feature (I think this is new with Sense 6 - not on Sense 5, unsure of 5.5) and might be helpful when trying to hold the phone carefully so as not to block the dual rear camera sensors with errant finger tips.

Within the Camera Settings (3 dot menu) there is an option for selecting a volume button behavior - shutter release or zoom rocker. (p. 62 in pdf)

• The notes on Ufocus and Duo Effects are really helpful as well. (p. 77 in pdf)

• The 3 Finger Swipe can now be used for more media outputs than just the HTC Media Link. For example it can be used to send audio to almost any linked Bluetooth speaker (p. 34 in pdf)

• There is a three finger tap that can be used within the Car Application. It is a shortcut to voice command mode. (p. 34 in pdf)

• Last but not least, I learned that on the stock keyboard input, there is a shortcut where you can swipe left to get to the number input view quickly. New to me as I never knew about it on prior versions, but checked and it works on Sense 5 as well. (p. 46 in pdf.)

From our very own tipsters here at Phandroid:
    Phandroid.com | 35+ HTC One M8 Tips & Tricks [VIDEO]

Advertisement
    dontpanicbobby, KOLIO and thicks56 like this.
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Can any application do that? It would be nice to be able to use the volume buttons to skip music tracks on a stock ROM, like you can on most custom ROMs.
  3. PyroSporker

Sorry if I oversold it. I believe this applies only to the camera software and settings within the stock camera application.

It would be nice to natively control music playback with the volume buttons, it is a no-brainer at this point and you'd think through the years it would have become added functionality already. One step at a time though I guess...
    Someone actually with the device will have to confirm by trying out the Sense 6 music application.
    Xyro likes this.
  4. swerver32

swerver32 Well-Known Member

I tried it. Just controls the volume. Didn't see any settings to change that. I agree that should be a default slam dunk feature everywhere by now.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  5. Netherdragon

Netherdragon Well-Known Member

I'm loving the phone so far but, one thing is annoying me. How do you hide the home,back, multitask buttons when watching fullscreen video through....say...the YouTube app? Or is this not possible. I've never had on-screen buttons only before on my phones.
  6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

On devices with on-screen buttons, they typically fade out and disappear a few seconds after launching full screen videos. If you touch the screen whilst the video is up, they'll pop back into view.
    Granite1 likes this.
  7. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Holy smokes, I didn't know this possible. :p

I'm running a Sense 5.5 rom on my LTEvo and this is included in there. Just checked it out and it works. Awesome find Pyro!! :D
    PyroSporker likes this.
  8. Tlicious1020

Tlicious1020 On Probation

I saw a review on YouTube saying you can't gesture without the phone being in your hand. That's not true. I can lay my phone flat on my bed and still wake the phone up or turn it off through gesturing. If the phone is laying on a flat surface like my bed just tap the screen once and then do your gesture. It will work like a charm. I think a single tap wakes the phone up. I don't know if this is a hidden gem or what.
    sikclown likes this.
  9. Tlicious1020

The swipe up comes in handy! Especially after someone sends you a text and your screen times out.
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

similar topics merged.:)
    Granite1 likes this.
  11. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

I think the single tap is mimicking motion, which is what the gestures require to wakeup. Great tip!
  12. Tlicious1020

HTC should be paying us for figuring this out for them.
    Granite1 likes this.
  13. today

today Well-Known Member

When watching a video (not streaming) slide two fingers left or right to fast-forward or reverse. Repeat to double the speed.
    Blade of 3 and PyroSporker like this.
  14. Tlicious1020

Don't you hate it when autocorrect repeatedly selects a word you spelled correctly? When that happens, type out the word three times in a row. The word predictor won't do it again.
    Blade of 3, GTCC, olbriar and 2 others like this.
  15. KOLIO

KOLIO SERIAL AGNOANDROIDIST Guide

Anyone tried a 3rd party launcher (HOLO/APEX/NOVA) & have the ability to change/customize the long-pressing feature w/the on-screen buttons?

This was one thing that I forgot to try out w/the demo model @ the store yesterday.

THX!
  16. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

The long press menu feature is not working correctly yet on Nova on this phone. though you can single tap on the home screen to activate a feature (I selected flashlight). In any other app double tapping home launches flashlight.

Swiping functions for Nova also work, though the default swiping actions on the lock screen are borked
    KOLIO likes this.
  17. KOLIO

Is there an actual menu button/function available w/the on-screen buttons?

I think I remember it being only with/the three dots, wherever they may be, on any particular page/app.

I'm pretty sure this is a KIT KAT thing, I saw the same on the GPE MOTO G & up to the mfgs if they wanna stray from it, or, choose to alter/keep the JB layout.
  18. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

There was an option to hold down the Home Screen button for the Menu button but it didn't work in the release ROM and the Sprint Update that just came out removed it all together. I can't speak for any other variants.
    KOLIO likes this.
  19. KOLIO

FWIW, the S5 has the same deal, no real working menu function w/the capacitive buttons (at least by default).

So, this seems to be the status quo w/new handsets releasing w/KIT KAT out-of-the-box.

I'm hoping, but not optimistic, that GOOGLE will backtrack & have the menu accessible from the on-screen buttons.
  20. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

thicks56 likes this.
  21. KOLIO

Anyone tried a rotation-control app w/the M8,just to see what it does w/BLINKFEED & the stock desktop/app drawer?
  22. PyroSporker

I've been utilizing the stock HTC Calculator application at work alot lately.
    I noticed that when turning off the screen via the power button, and with the calculator still open on the screen, when turning the screen back on, the lock screen is skipped and the calculator remains on the screen.
    Granite1 and KOLIO like this.
  23. KOLIO

Just checked this myself,ditto on the T-Mobile version.

Another quirk to add to the list,along w/the always-visible Bluetooth bug.

Nothing crippling,but,somewhat in the same category (security bugs).

I'll call HTC in the A.M. & report this,the more that do so the merrier........
    Granite1 and PyroSporker like this.
  24. PyroSporker

It definitely occurred to me that it could be considered a security hole, I didn't want to allude to it though. I kind of like not having to swipe the lock for the calc. :) It is a "feature"

I don't use a pattern/PIN/password lock, how about you? If it bypasses patterns, passcodes, or BYOD corporate policy, then it is kind of a huge deal.
    Granite1 likes this.
  25. KOLIO

I don't use anything other than swiping the lock screen. No codes/etc.....

Samsung had a similar situation on the GS3,a bit more difficult to bypass the lockscreen, but, it was possible.
    Granite1 and PyroSporker like this.