Tired of waiting for the OTA 2.1

Last Updated:

1. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was looking forward to the OTA today, but since now it looks like Verizon won't give us a date when it is really going to happen I just want to upgrade it myself. I have read that a couple people are running the 2.1 update already that was supposed to be the OTA update released today. Where do I get it from and how do I install it on my phone? Need a step by step because I have not done anything like this on my droid yet.

Advertisement
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

you could root! its just as easy really. then get roms. not much different than what you want to do. other than that, just Google search 2.1 update ese53 and you may find something

3. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

4. tjbugs1

tjbugs1 Well-Known Member

I could not take it anymore and rooted today.

5. radikal

thats a smart move! enjoy the root, let it wash over you

6. chrlswltrs

tjbugs1, awesome, another cowboys fan here in WA! Go Cowboys!

If there is nothing by the end of the day about the OTA, I will definitely be rooting tonight

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Rooting was scary for me, and ROMming was terrifying. Best move I ever made! :D

8. radikal

haha do what scares you, it will set you free

9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

I would root...but I'm going to wait until this official update rolls out as the base for new roms. I understand that the current roms have the current update in them but there are quibbles..such as failing to install the radio update etc..I've waited this long I can wait a week or two more esp since Verizon has outed themselves. It's unfortunate that Verizon appears incompetent to the tech crowd...but they haven't done too bad. They made one official announcement and missed it, Motorola was the culprit last time.

10. Cbrown

Cbrown Well-Known Member

You were not guaranteed an update today anyhow.

11. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the Droid community boycott this update and begin rooting and ROMing EN MASSE?!?!? Don't just sit around and take this crap!!! How many times are you going to bend over and take it in the bung hole from Verizon? STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR WHAT'S RIGHT. HAVE SOME PRIDE, FOR GOODNESS SAKE, MEN (AND GALS...ALL THREE OF YOU).

12. Lemurion

Lemurion Well-Known Member

Because that would be silly?

Everyone should be able to respond however they wish, which for most users would be ignore the tempest in a teacup.

13. slick_old

Weeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll.... everything you're patiently waiting for- sitting by your phone like spurned lover awaiting a phone call from "the one that got away" - I've had for a long time (LWP's, new gallery, pinch to zoom damn near everywhere, speach to text, 3D app drawer). So put that in your tea cup and drink it.

Just kidding. I could care less whether a person decides to be rooted or stock. My original comments were meant for comic relief only. I chose to root months back because I lost interest in the OTA (after several delays) but if folks decide they want to twiddle their thumbs while an apparently inept Verizon struggles to get their s#%t together, it matters to me not.

14. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Rooting is much easier now than when I did it originally. Simple actually!

Oh, and tjbugs1, GO REDSKINS!!! :p

15. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If you want the update without rooting then you need to get the ESE53 SBF file over at alldroid.org in the Droid development forum and flash it using RSD Lite.

chrlswltrs likes this.
  16. chrlswltrs

Ty, this is what I was looking for, where do I get RSD lite, or are those directions at alldroid.org also? Going to check this out tonight.

17. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If you go to the root subforum here you can look in the sticky thread about not fearing a brick anymore (or something like that, I don't remember what I titled it but I am the op) to get RSD Lite and instructions on how to use it. Just please make sure your Droid has like a 80% charge or more and DO NOT UNPLUG IT until RSD Lite is done.

18. tjbugs1

If you're in the Seattle area we have a Meetup group.
    The Seattle Dallas Cowboys Meetup Group (Seattle, WA) - Meetup.com

LoL! Thanks I needed a good laugh! :p

chrlswltrs likes this.
  19. chrlswltrs

20. chrlswltrs

OK, I have been looking around alldroid.org and I guess I need dummy, step by step directions with links to the files I need. I couldn't find the thread with the RSD Lite instructions.

BTW I would prefer updating to 2.1 without rooting if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

21. Unclebill

Unclebill Active Member

I'm in a position where I will have to wait for the 2.1 upgrade. My Droid is used 90% for business and about 10% for personal use. 2.0.1 is a very stable platform. My phone doesn't need constant rebooting, the apps work just fine, and I don't have to play computer tech ... unlike at work where I'm constantly trying to keep 15 Windows based computers happy while trying to keep two radio stations on the air. When I use my phone - it must work. No time to play around with it. When Verizon releases 2.1, I can be sure that they are certain it will work and satisfy their customers, otherwise they won't release it. My situation requires me to be patient. But what I have ... is just fine - for now.

22. istolvampire

istolvampire Well-Known Member

finally bit the bullet and rooted. I wanted to wifi tether and that was never coming so I just did it.

23. Richie97

Richie97 Member

A good ESE53 2.1 rom is as stable, or more stable than a 2.0.1 rom to be honest. Bugless Beast is running seriously well on v0.9. Very very smooth. As long as you don't hop into the "tester pool" (which I happen to love doing). Running a release rom is extremely stable.

24. slick_old

I agree. I'm on BB v0.8 (didn't even know v0.9 was out) and it's just as stable as my stock 2.0.1 Droid was. I suppose that's because it's based on the official ESE53. Anyway, I understand UncleBill's apprehension.

25. tjbugs1

OK, first go to
    video: rooting/unrooting a motorola droid with droidmod 1.0