Titanium Backup Dilemma

1. WillSchoeff

WillSchoeff Member

I'm running Titanium Backup inorder to backup all my applications, just like everybody does, but before I flash a rom I have a dilemma. Is it necessary to back up EVERYTHING on your phone, including the bloatware to your SD card? If it is, will having the HTC Sense apps conflict with the current roms that I'm running?

Advertisement
  2. cipher6

cipher6 Well-Known Member

Sense system apps will conflict with non-sense roms. If going to non-sense rom only reinstall user apps.

bloatware are system apps, I wouldn't reinstall them. I think the non-system HTC apps also cause problems on non-sense roms.
  3. WillSchoeff

WillSchoeff Member

Okay, thanks! I jailbroke my iPod touch and bricked it because I messed with the UI, so I'm doing all that I can to make sure that I don't do the same with my Dinc.
  4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Generally speaking, system data should not be backed-up/restored from one ROM to another. You should let each ROM write it's on system data. User apps & data can be restored across ROMs. TB color codes the apps so that you can tell what's system and what's user.
    As always, making a nand backup before deleting apps is a good idea. That way if you accidentally delete something that turns out to be a system app you have a safe place to go back to.
  5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

It doesn't really matter how much you back up (system + apps or apps only, etc) but it does matter what you choose to restore depending on the framework of the outgoing vs incoming rom. By and large, restoring missing apps will work well but even then you may need to scan through the list especially if you're moving from 2.2 to 2.3 or similar. In that event the safest approach is to restore only market apps.