• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium Backup (please read)

Here's my process after just losing my sync accounts & contacts either due to oversight on my part or... they just don't get backed up/restored. Most of my contacts originate from Exchange & Facebook. I'm hesitant to try a restore now but I'm hoping this method works.

Call me paranoid but I prefer the cleanest method possible.

HTC EVO 4G

1. Power + VOLUME UP
2. Clear Data
3. Build custom DEFAULT (minimal) setup/install apps, adjust settings
4. unrevoked to go root (seems to be easiest and the least permanent without going to a lot of trouble)
5. Titanium Backup donate edition (requires step 4)
6. Backup all apps + system data
7. Verify Backups
8. MOVE Titanium Backup folder on sdcard to a "restore\default" directory for safe keeping.
9. Install optional apps
10. Use History Eraser app to clean up a little
11. Use Titanium Backup to do another "Backup all apps + system data" for a default image with most popular apps installed.

I plan to keep only one clean backup per directory. No going back & forth restoring certain stuff, leaving others, etc. No restoring to a ROM that has stuff already installed (erase data each restore). With this in mind I will always backup to a clean directory and always restore to a fresh ROM.

It's probably the long way to go but it's the closest I can find to maintaining a clean "image" of my phone as I do on my PC's via Acronis True Image, Ghost, etc.

I just hope I'm not in for a disappointment when it comes to my sync accounts next restore. Crossing fingers.

Upvote 0
i change ROMs probably on average once a week (yes, i'm an addict). before i switch ROMs, i do the batch "Backup all user apps + system data." after i load the new ROM, i don't let the market sync, instead i immediately run batch "Restore missing apps + all system data."

this returns me pretty much back to where i was (some settings are missed, but Keramidas is always working on adding everything) and i have NEVER had force close or settings conflict issues. i guess i could just be lucky, but i doubt i'm lucky dozens of times in a row :p

Upvote 0
Just wait til you start loading system data from 2.1 ROMs in a 2.2 ROM....

i didn't have any problems or conflicts transferring 2.1 to 2.2 (been on froyo since the day it was released ;)). the only "issue" was that since some of the system apps were new versions, their settings didn't transfer over, and some of my system settings that usually did transfer over did not. but nothing major that caused FC, corruption, or rebooting.

all the important/annoying things (such as icon layouts and wifi settings) transferred just fine!

seriously, try it next time. just go ahead an restore everything, and like i say, unless i'm just freakishly lucky, it should work fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones