• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root titanium backup question

bluewhite79

Feb 2, 2010
I keep getting the warning banner:

Your system settings will prevent you from restoring apps. to correct this, go to your phone's settings then "applications" and tick the "unknown sources" checkbox.

i cannot find this setting anywhere. Anybody have a clue?

I keep getting the warning banner:

Your system settings will prevent you from restoring apps. to correct this, go to your phone's settings then "applications" and tick the "unknown sources" checkbox.

i cannot find this setting anywhere. Anybody have a clue?

Go to your app drawer (or hit Menu on your homescreen if you have it) and click on Settings, go to Applications, and then you'll see the Unknown Sources check box.

To get to this, I think you have to use the NookColor Tools app in your app drawer (autonooter automatically adds this when you root).

NookColor Tools > Check the box next to "Allow Non-Market Apps"

TiBu also requires "USB Debugging" to be on as well (don't know if you'll be prompted for that next).

NookColor Tools > All Settings > Development > Make sure "USB Debugging" is checked

Go back to TiBu and all should be right with the world ;)

Upvote 0
To get to this, I think you have to use the NookColor Tools app in your app drawer (autonooter automatically adds this when you root).

NookColor Tools > Check the box next to "Allow Non-Market Apps"

TiBu also requires "USB Debugging" to be on as well (don't know if you'll be prompted for that next).

NookColor Tools > All Settings > Development > Make sure "USB Debugging" is checked

Go back to TiBu and all should be right with the world ;)

I have the "allow non-market apps" checked and the "USB Debugging" checked. I am still getting the above error...

in response to stinky, there is no "applications" section under settings. If i click menu in the menu drawer, i get two options: manage apps and uninstall.

Is it the free version that won't allow this? Or do you think guys think a reboot will help?

Upvote 0
I have the "allow non-market apps" checked and the "USB Debugging" checked. I am still getting the above error...

in response to stinky, there is no "applications" section under settings. If i click menu in the menu drawer, i get two options: manage apps and uninstall.

Is it the free version that won't allow this? Or do you think guys think a reboot will help?

While I've never seen this problem on the NC, I have had this happen on my Fascinate. I've even had it where it persisted after a reboot. I used TiBu to back up my apps despite the "warning" and it still worked just fine.

But yes, I'd reboot and see if that clears it.

Upvote 0
Reboot's fix a lot more problems than they cause. Always good idea to have a nice reboot once in a while. :p

Seems like the menu options you are trying are through TBU and not from your Nooks homescreen, either that or your on stock Nook ROM or something.

Either way, keep us updated. I dont really use TBU, but I'd like to help you through it if
I can.

Upvote 0
I first got that error when I started TB, however, it has since gone away. Not sure what I did. It may have had something to do with updating Busybox via the TB interface. Anyway, I do not show any apps available to backup or any backup button. When I click the 'Refresh Apps list' I get a message- 'app data elements: 0'. Suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks for any and all replies.

Upvote 0
I first got that error when I started TB, however, it has since gone away. Not sure what I did. It may have had something to do with updating Busybox via the TB interface. Anyway, I do not show any apps available to backup or any backup button. When I click the 'Refresh Apps list' I get a message- 'app data elements: 0'. Suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks for any and all replies.

Press menu > filters > and make sure you clear any filters as they are not automatically cleared when you exit the app.

Reactions: azsl1326
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I tried clearing any filters however still the same result - no apps! Any other ideas?

Check the following:

From your homescreen press menu > applications > make sure you check th box next to unknown sources.

Now from the same screen select development > and make sure USB debugging is checked.

Your menu structure may be a little different...I don't have a NC around me currently.

Reactions: azsl1326
Upvote 0
Check the following:

From your homescreen press menu > applications > make sure you check th box next to unknown sources.
Your menu structure may be a little different...I don't have a NC around me currently.

It is slightly different. I was able to find USB debugging but not the 'unknown sources' checkbox. Maybe someone with a NC can chime in? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Okay...going back to this for a second. When you pressed clear...did you then press "apply"

Sorry if you did...but there is most likely something small you are missing :thinking:

Thanks for all of the assistance. Not sure if I did the first time. But I remember this happening when I pressed 'Apply', I got a 'Please Wait' alert box that wouldn't go away. Same thing now when I press 'Clear' and then 'Apply'.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the assistance. Not sure if I did the first time. But I remember this happening when I pressed 'Apply', I got a 'Please Wait' alert box that wouldn't go away. Same thing now when I press 'Clear' and then 'Apply'.

NP...Sorry I haven't been much help yet. I'd try uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling TiBu. Sounds like the app is hanging up on you. I've never heard of this issue across numerous devices so not sure what the deal is.

Upvote 0
Upgrade superuser?

Does TB say you are rooted?

Open superuser, does it list TB on its whitelist?

Reboot, wipe cache and dalvik, maybe...

TB has superuser rights. I don't see anywhere in TB where it says I am rooted, however it says I have root access: ok(BusyBox 1.16 from app). I have tried uninstalling, wiping cache, rebooting, clearing filters, etc., nothing seems to work. Thanks for the assistance, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones