• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium backup woes

Hey guys so i rooted my phone successfully using the ACE Hack kit. Installed Busy Box,and Titanium backup. Ran TB and backed up my apps and system settings. Downloaded cyanogen mod and flashed it using recovery mode. wiped data and what not before going forward with the new ROM. once cyanogenmod booted up successfully, i was left with no apps. This was kind of expected but i figured no biggie i should just redownload Titanium backup and see about getting everything back. Google Play store says i already have everything installed and wont let me reinstall.

Using File Manager i can see that there is a Folder named Titanium backup containing files that are relevant to my old setup. My problem is getting everything back on this new Rom. Especially my contacts. Music and pictures are still there but everything else is somehow trapped in that folder. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Are your contacts backed up to your gmail account? I've never tried using TB to back up system settings/apps and if you're going from stock to Cyanogen you're best just to go with User Apps & Data, restoring system apps generally causes problems.

Have you tried clearing the cache and data of Google Play? Try that first, let me know if that works. I have a fix/workaround (as the same thing happened to me), but it's kinda long winded.

Upvote 0
Are your contacts backed up to your gmail account? I've never tried using TB to back up system settings/apps and if you're going from stock to Cyanogen you're best just to go with User Apps & Data, restoring system apps generally causes problems.

Have you tried clearing the cache and data of Google Play? Try that first, let me know if that works. I have a fix/workaround (as the same thing happened to me), but it's kinda long winded.

Thank you for your speedy response!
I never ran across that option to backup my contacts to my gmail account. However i could just have a terrible memory. Clearing the cache/data from Google Play is also something I have not tried, But I did find the "gapps" download and ran it for my device. All apps were successfully reinstalled but the contacts are still missing in action. Going to try out that fix and see if this resolves it. Will keep you posted. Thanks a bunch friend!:D

Upvote 0
ok so i tried the Google Play/contacts method to no avail. However I did run across this post

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...contacts-sms-titanium-backup.html#post4402617

Following this guide, I was able to get my call history back. I added all the contacts to the phone numbers that went with them manually. However when i tried the sms route i completely screwed things up. My phone went on a never ending Force Close error prompts. "android.com.phone"

One step forward, Two pigeon toed steps back. My last resort was to boot into recovery mode and restore my phone to an earlier backup. Now i just need to do the whole "GAPPS" process again. Lesson learned. Thank you for your patience.
I am still curious as to what your method would have been, please do tell.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it sorted! :)

I would've gone back in to clockwork, restored my previous ROM, booted into the OS, backed up my contacts to gmail using this method: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...c-desire-g-mail-windows-mail.html#post3069437.

Then went into Titanium and created a flashable TB zip file (Open TB -> hit Menu -> More -> Create Update.zip. You want Edify, User Application & Call it Titanium XXX.zip, then hit create). That creates a zip file on the root of your SD Card so you can flash TB after you've flashed your ROM and it's there on first boot up.

I would have then rebooted back into Clockwork, wiped and flashed CM7 again along with the gapps package and the TB zip file. Then finally, restore everything with Titanium.

Make sense?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones