Titanium vs. Nandroid: Still Confused

Last Updated:

1. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I've read the threads out there and it sounds like, for my needs (I'm rooted but on 2.1, no radio OTA update....want to get to leaked Froyo and root), I should go with Ti Backup and ONLY backup 3rd party apps (not system apps).

Sound right?

Also, Ti will not backup SMS, will it? I have SMS backup but have never tried to restore SMS history with it.

I know I have to unroot with RUU and will need to wipe the phone, but it sounds like if I do Nandroid now that I have root, it would only create an image of my ROOTED 2.1, so if I Nandroid > unroot > leaked Froyo > root w/ unrevoked > Nandroid restore ....I would only be restoring an image of 2.1+root over my unrooted 2.2 ... so, I should not do Nandroid and instead stick to Ti Backup.

Make sense?

Advertisement
  2. b1gg134

b1gg134 Well-Known Member

Yeah you understand it correctly, but you should still do the nandroid backup incase something goes wrong with what you plan to do. If you can still get back into recovery you can restore the 2.1 image you just made and be rolling on in minutes. To me its like a little "just in case" insurance that you will kick yourself in the ass for if you dont do it and need it.

3. bmo21

bmo21 Active Member

I was able to restore my sms through Ti by selecting restore data for sms/mms/apn dialer storage. Then rebooting. Also heard you can restore background and widgets by selecting desktop but didn't know till after doing to manually.

4. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

Titainum Backup: apps + data

Nadroid back up: WHOLE PHONE, even rom!

philaPete likes this.