• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Titantic II 2016

chevanlol360

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2011
new york
lmao so who's gonna be on the Titantic II when it sets sail in 2016??? :D:D
If you guys didn't know yet, some Australian Billionaire announced today that he's gonna build an exact replica of the first Titanic but making it more safer.

Cant wait for the iceberg II lmao. In all seriousness i think its a bad idea, what are your thoughts??

The Titanic may have been the largest man-made object at the time it was built, but today it would look like a shrimp among all the gargantuan modern cruise ships that would dwarf it everywhere it went. If a working RMS Titanic work-alike does get built, it's not likely to be much more than a curiosity. Something that most people would pay a few dollars to take a tour of. I can't imagine any middle class family that would pay thousands of dollars to "enjoy" a period-correct 1912 British class separation steerage class experience as a recreational activity. And to modify the decks to be more attractive to a classless (double entendre intended), 21st century clientele, the resulting ship would then only bear a passing resemblance to the Titanic. What's the point?

Upvote 0
The Titanic may have been the largest man-made object at the time it was built, but today it would look like a shrimp among all the gargantuan modern cruise ships that would dwarf it everywhere it went. If a working RMS Titanic work-alike does get built, it's not likely to be much more than a curiosity. Something that most people would pay a few dollars to take a tour of. I can't imagine any middle class family that would pay thousands of dollars to "enjoy" a period-correct 1912 British class separation steerage class experience as a recreational activity. And to modify the decks to be more attractive to a classless (double entendre intended), 21st century clientele, the resulting ship would then only bear a passing resemblance to the Titanic. What's the point?

big2-qm2titanic-yzmo-via-wikipedia.png

640_ship-comparison.jpg

OasisvsTitanic.jpg
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
I would go, but only if I get to throw DiCaprio overboard. ;)

Seriously, I have to go with Speed's assessment on this one. It would be a temporary curiosity that would end up in dry dock as a museum.
FYI I clicked the Like button the instant I read the part about throwing Leo overboard, and before I saw any mention of me. That image alone was plenty good reason to like it! :rofl:

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I think I know who's going to want to cruise on this thing, nouveau riche Chinese. Many of whom can be rather crass and distasteful IMO.

Many people in China just love anything that's to do with the Titanic. Celine Dion sang a special perfomance of My Heart Will Go On on CCTV's 2013 Near Year Gala Show. That's the first time a foreigner has ever appeared on there. And the movie Titanic has to be the most pirated movie by far, you see bootlegged DVDs of it everywhere. Even in the remotest, poorest village, chances are you'll find a copy of this movie.

Reactions: Speed Daemon
Upvote 0
I find it more than a little distasteful, even disrespectful. Over 1400 people, by the most optimistic estimate, died that night. Building a replica with the same name seems insensitive to their memory, to say the least.

Slightly different, but yet the same... Can't the same be said about making a child after a major Hurricane? That is, hurricanes such as Andrew, Katrina and Mitch all killed MANY people and caused, arguably, much more damage and devastation compared to the Titanic.

My two cents... Despite being a name that someone is trying to use to cash in on, at the end of the day it's still just a name.

Upvote 0
I find it more than a little distasteful, even disrespectful. Over 1400 people, by the most optimistic estimate, died that night. Building a replica with the same name seems insensitive to their memory, to say the least.

Its not really insensitive if you think about. Then we have to stop making movies about WWII and such, people replicate things from wars. Tou can visit Holocaust places as well.
Its a history whether its good or bad, I think its awesome that someone has willingness to replicate the Titanic.

Upvote 0
Can't say I'd be tempted. There were actually 3 sister ships, the Titanic, the Britannic and the Olympic, none of which were exactly lucky ..

The Olympic was involved in a collision soon after going into service. It was repaired with parts from the Titanic which was still being built at the time. There is a looney conspiracy theory that the Olympic was actually irrepairable and it was renamed Titanic and then deliberately sunk by the White Star Line in an insurance scam. The real Titanic then took it's place. Total bollix of course. It eventually retired after being involved in a second collision that killed 7.

The Brittanic was requisition for war service immediately it was built and 7 months later hit a mine (or was hit by a torpedo) and despite it's claimed unsinkability, went down taking two tugs that had gone to assist along with it.

Not exactly a history of the best good luck ..

Upvote 0
Its not really insensitive if you think about. Then we have to stop making movies about WWII and such, people replicate things from wars. Tou can visit Holocaust places as well.
Its a history whether its good or bad, I think its awesome that someone has willingness to replicate the Titanic.

I think there is a difference, sure you can go and visit Holocaust sites for education and respect. There's even package tours for that.

However I'm sure they wouldn't go and build a new Holocaust theme park. Or a new Attack on Pearl Harbor theme park, complete with plane rides and sinking ships. Because IMO that would be gross and completely disrespectful. Rather like this new Chinese replica Titanic II ship, a floating theme park.

Upvote 0
I would go on this in a heartbeat if it was available to me.
I would love to explore the replica and feel the romance from an era gone by.
I don't really feel any disrespect is intended. It was a luxury liner that hit an iceberg and sank, and this time (God willing) it will accomplish what it was always intended for. I just wish I could afford to be on it's maiden voyage.

Upvote 0
Apparently, in order to be able to explore the whole ship, you would need to book first class: in keeping with the period, 2nd and 3rd class passengers are going to be limited to their decks.

Unless you're Leonardo di Caprio, I guess.

On the upside, they are apparently planning to provide clothing to passengers so you can dress in period costume.

No word on who gets priority in the life boats or whether the band is contracted to go down with the ship, though ..

Upvote 0
I think there is a difference, sure you can go and visit Holocaust sites for education and respect. There's even package tours for that.

However I'm sure they wouldn't go and build a new Holocaust theme park. Or a new Attack on Pearl Harbor theme park, complete with plane rides and sinking ships. Because IMO that would be gross and completely disrespectful. Rather like this new Chinese replica Titanic II ship, a floating theme park.

ok lets put that one aside. Twin towers site is getting a new building as a reminder of 2 last ones, no disrespect here, although I hear people saying that they should not build anything there.

Upvote 0
I guess i somewhat understand why its disrespectful and why its not. This will be a growing issue throughout the world when the ship is ready in 2016.

Interesting fact, there will be no tvs radios or internet on the ship. There will also be old early 1900's clothes in the closet so that guest can dress up and act as if they were really on the original titantic back in 1914.

Upvote 0
I guess i somewhat understand why its disrespectful and why its not. This will be a growing issue throughout the world when the ship is ready in 2016.

Interesting fact, there will be no tvs radios or internet on the ship. There will also be old early 1900's clothes in the closet so that guest can dress up and act as if they were really on the original titantic back in 1914.

That stands to reason, it's to re-create an authentic Edwardian experience. That's what the passengers paying for. If everyone's wearing Nike and Adidas and playing Facebook all the time :rolleyes: it's not quite so authentic.

The Titanic II will comply with the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea regulations, which came about because of the original Titanic sinking. There will definitely be modern communications and navigation systems on board, and there will be enough lifeboat positions for all souls aboard the ship. So it's not totally Edwardian.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones