1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

TiVo App?

Last Updated:

1. VolsMcFalls

VolsMcFalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know of plans for a TiVo app? I would like to be able to schedule recordings from my phone. I know I can use the mobile web interface, which is what I've been using. But, I've noticed that this does not force a connection from the tivo. Instead, the tivo connects on it's normal schedule, and if there is a new recording scheduled, the tivo will download the command and schedule the recording.

But, let's say I am out and realize I forgot to schedule a show that comes on in 5 minutes (or even 4 hours, depending on when the tivo last connected). If I go to the website and schedule it, chances are it will not be recorded.

The tivo only connects to the service once or twice a day. So if you miss the window, you are screwed. I want an app with a good interface that will allow me to search my local listings and schedule a recording, that will also force the tivo to connect and get the schedule.

Advertisement
  2. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Member

I think the responsiveness of the web app depends on how your tivo is connected, and what hardware/software version you have. I know with mine, requests are processed within just a few minutes, but I have a relatively new Tivo (TivoHD model) on the current software revision, connected 24/7 to my broadband connection.

As for an app, I don't think they've even made a tivo iphone app yet, though I've looked for one. I did find a DVR Remote app that lets an iphone work as a remote control for a tivo on the same local network, but that doesn't help when you're away from home, and only offers functionality similar to what an actual tivo remote would.

3. LynnL

LynnL Member

This isn't really true. The TiVo pings home a few times an hour, as long as you have a broadband connection. (It's the service connection/guide download that only happens once or twice a day.) The mobile site, just like the regular web site, should work as long as your show starts in 20-30 minutes or longer.

I agree an app would be cool (especially if there was a way to stream our TiVo content!) but the mobile site should work fine for what you're suggesting. Give it a try and see.

4. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

As a test of the mobile site, I scheduled something coming up this afternoon and it took 47 minutes to receive the confirmation email.

My TiVo is broadband enabled.

5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Just before I switched from my iPhone to my Droid X, Comcast Cable came out with an app that let me remotely set my DVR to record, and I love that option! But nothing for Android yet either, hope they are working on it. Maybe I should call customer service and put the bug in thier ear. Like in Star Trek: Wrath of Khan.

6. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

DirecTV has an Android app. :)

7. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member

They had an app on Blackberry but it was pretty lame. The mobile site is much better IMHO. I think getting it to record is just a matter of timing. it checks regularly but if you send a request just after it checked it will be a while before you get a confirmation. To be able to 'force it to connect' you would need to do some port forwarding on your network which is beyond the average person, or it would need to be constantly connected to the service i believe.

8. VolsMcFalls

VolsMcFalls Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, I wonder how long it takes the comcast and direct tv apps to schedule the recording? Sounds like it takes around 30 minutes to an hour using the tivo webpage.