Tmobile Issues (specifically Data 1/29)

Last Updated:

1. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so this AM was heading to work, clicked on a news story and the browser popped up and said you need a data plan to connect to the web. So WTF? i have a data plan...call tmobile, they say everything looks good and transfer me to HTC support. CS rep was very helpful and said that they have been swamped with the same issue since 3 AM (with numerous customers having the same issue) with the nexus one saying data isnt on the line...just curious if anyone else is having this issue??

I have to call back around lunch time if the issue isnt resolved (because they cant really research it so early with only a few people working yet...)

o well a few hours without data will be a nice break...wont be an email slave..:p

Advertisement
  2. WishBone

WishBone Member

FWIW.. I had this issue 3 days ago with my N1. Not saying it's the same problem, however I had to remove battery and SIM Card for 30 seconds. After that data instantly came back.

3. smitty24

cool, ill give that a try in the mean time...had already rebooted 2 times on phone with support, but didnt remove sim...

4. ptech

ptech Member

I am experiencing some issues this morning that might be related to this. When accessing the Market if I try going to any of the sections (Apps, Games, Downloads) or trying accessing any of the apps on the main page I receive the message "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." If I try opening Pandora I receive a message starting with "Unexpected JSON error occurred: A JSONObject text must begin with "{" at character 1 of....". As I was writing this I decided to try the web browser and it as well is telling me I need a webConnect data plan. I will try removing the SIM card in a few... but you are not alone in having this problem.

5. WishBone

WishBone Member

Yep, I had done the same, rebooted, removed battery.. numerous times.. 2nd level tech support guy with T-Mobile brought up sim card removal... don't know why, but that was the important piece for me.

As an aside, I thought it was interesting that when we hung up the T-Mobile tech said "Thanks for calling AT&T." LMAO

6. WoodrowB

WoodrowB Active Member

I'm seeing the same thing.

I dialed the T-Mobile phone number that pops up in the error screen, but the system automatically moved me to HTC support.

I'm speaking with the HTC guy now. He reports that he has received similar calls from the southeast US this morning. He also noted that the connectivity issue seems to NOT be limited to N1s....the folks around him in the cubicles, all with different devices, are having the same issue.

I'm trying to navigate the automated system at TM without getting dumped to HTC.....i'll let you know how that works.

btw, this is the first issue i've had, of any kind, with my N1. I purchased it on the 5th, received it on the 6th.

7. WishBone

WishBone Member

I gotta believe this is related to a different issue than it was for me is so many are having the problem at the same time. Strange..

8. smitty24

wonder if its isolated to the SE region...ive searched google and google news and havent found any word outside of my post here...same here as far as issues...1st 'major' one ive had.

9. ptech

ptech Member

Well, I am from Chicago, IL and am experiencing this issue. So it doesn't seem limited to the SE region, or at least not in my case.

10. smitty24

question answered. :D

11. ptech

ptech Member

I didn't have any luck with removing and replacing the SIM card.

12. bwill1177

bwill1177 New Member

I am having the same issue in the Atlanta area. I don't have enough time to wade through a support line. Has anyone found a fix yet?

13. smitty24

no fix yet...stay tuned

14. browns19-4life

browns19-4life Member

Having the same problem which means it is definitely a network issue and not much we can do other than wait for t-mobile. Would be interesting to know if other phones (i.e. blackberrys) on t-mobile are having the same problem. Imagine they are.

15. WoodrowB

WoodrowB Active Member

The T-Mobile rep, while being very nice and quite set on helping me, was not able to resolve the issue. I was on hold a time or two, and it was obvious that I was speaking with AT&T's help service. odd?

I guess i'm waiting.

16. O'dell

O'dell New Member

I'm having the same issue in Louisville, KY. Two other people that are in my office, one of which has a N1 the other a Touch, are NOT having the same issue. I called T-Mobile and they transferred me to HTC but I don't have time to sit on the phone with them all day.

Couple of side notes. When connected to wifi there are no issues and pulling the battery/sim did NOT work for me either.

17. browns19-4life

browns19-4life Member

Strange. Someone I know has a G1 and her data is working fine on t-mobile.

I just called them and was automatically forwarded to HTC (I thought they said AT&T too). They say that t-mobile is aware of the problem, but that was it.

18. benjamin_

benjamin_ Active Member

Add me to the list with no data. I'm in the Twin Cities, MN.

19. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

I'm having data issue this morning as well. In NYC, wasn't getting e-mails.

20. hotdogwater

hotdogwater Active Member

add me to the list Nashville TN. No data for me!
    maybe its the over the air update coming.

21. shinkle

shinkle Member

Same issue here in Columbus. Just got off the phone with Tmo rep. She said that I need to upgrade my data plan even though I'm already on an Even More Plus unlimited data plan. She indicated Google is behind this requirement. She also said they have been slammed with calls this am all related to this same issue.

22. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

23. moto1907

moto1907 Active Member

just had the same isdsue. started this moring for me. Pulling the battery and sim now. Damn i feel like im back on a BB.

24. Esquire1

Esquire1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if some reps just make stuff up as they go along when they have nothing else to say.

25. Sunflower1970

Sunflower1970 Active Member

I'd say so. I've seen lots of different explanations about the problem. When a rep doesn't know why, or they haven't been told why, sometimes they'll just make something up that sounds plausible to make the customer feel a bit better.