Tmobile prepaid smartphone used on a Tmobile postpaid plan?

Last Updated:

1. aashian

aashian New Member

I was wondering if its possible to buy a cheap Tmobile prepaid smartphone (not activate it) and use it on a Tmobile postpaid family plan? can i just stick my sim card from my (old regular cellphone) from my postpaid into a prepaid phone and it will work? all i want is talk (calls). my family has only talk on a family plan. i dont care about using texting or the web (data plan). i DO want to use texting (with google voice?) and web using wifi. has anyone tried this or know that it works for sure? you may be wondering why i dont buy one with an offer and the answer is i dont want to be bogged down with a 2 yr contract with a data plan.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

What you want to do will work. Just buy a cheap T-Mobile phone outright or a used phone. Dial 611 for more info.
    aashian likes this.
  3. aashian

aashian New Member

thanks for your reply. :) can anyone else confirm?
  4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

I used 2 unlocked European phones on TMO - stuck SIM in and was good to go.
    aashian likes this.
  5. !on

!on Well-Known Member

Yes as long as it's not other carriers phone 'cos it will be locked to that network.
    aashian likes this.
  6. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Aashian!:)
    We are glad you are now a member of the friendliest Android Community on the Web.

I have moved this thread into the T-Mobile forum for further discussion.
    aashian likes this.
  7. aashian

aashian New Member

oops. sorry damewolf. didnt know there was a tmobile for forum.

thanks everyone. i'm gonna look for a cheap tmobile phone.
    damewolf13 likes this.
  8. tusculum22

tusculum22 New Member

I had a similar question. I wanted to buy an unlocked GSM Galaxy S3 from Amazon and then sign up for T-mobile's prepaid 4G 30 dollars unlimited date and 100 minutes plan.

This will work? I just want to be doubly sure before spending so much on the phone.
  9. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

You need to make sure it as the frequencies to run on T-Mobiles network. T-Mobile uses a 1700mhz frequency that most GSM phones don't seem to have. Since the 1700mhz frequency is used for 3G/4G, you will have slow data speeds if it doesn't support the frequency.