Tmobile UK customer - GPS and MMS in the USA - how much will it cost me?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by krosfyah, Aug 8, 2010.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Hi folks, 2 questions for you - much obliged to anyone who can help:

1. I want to make sure i don't incur the insane costs of data use in the US when i head out there in September.

How do i ensure i can use GPS so that i can use Google Maps/Navigation without incurring data transfer costs? I used to be able to do this with CoPilot on my old XDA but not sure how to do this on the Desire

2. I get 75 picture messages free each month (which i was told includes sending them from abroad to a UK number), however, when i tried to send MMSs a bunch of times while in the US last month to UK numbers, everytime i got an error message saying "Unable to send". I tried to send it with both wifi on (connected to a home network) and also with wifi off. I didn't turn on Mobile data (mainly because i assumed i would be charged for the data), but it appears i have to have Mobile data transfer on (having now sent a bunch in the UK to friends here). My qyestion is - do i need Mobile data on to send MMSs in general, and if so, will the associated data transfer costs when i send MMSs to UK mobiles from the US be covered in the free 75 picture messages i get each month?

Many thanks!

Advertisement

2. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Mobile Retail
    Chester
    you cant send MMS without mobile data on. and Im sure they wont be inclusive from abroad (usually 50p -

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    None of your inclusive perks count when roaming. Everything is chargeable.

As for costs, look at the t-mobile website

4. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    think you may be incurring a hefty charge if you try to use the gps etc abroad mate..

looking at t-mobile's website, it says that it'll cost

5. phlebas

phlebas New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Google Maps & Navigation uses a data connection to download map data as you move about. As far as I know there's no way to download the map data before you need it.

Best bet might be a local SIM if your phone is unlocked.

JsT likes this.
  6. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I'd say it would be cheaper to buy copilot from the market than even think about trying Google Nav abroad

Edit: Looks like it will cost you

7. justinbrett1975

justinbrett1975 Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Your MMS Won't sent with out data being on.
    From memory its much cheaper to send a MMS while abroad though, and I think its 20p per message, in USA, a text will be lot more.
    Data is

8. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Can you buy US SIM card for 3G?

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    No, EU desire's will only work on 2G/Edge.

10. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    This is one thing that Nokia is better at. They have a Maploader application that allow you to download all the maps for a country via a PC onto the SD card. I recall the UK was 1.2gb approx, all downloaded using a computer and USB connection rather than a 3G connection.

One of the only things I wish Google would do.

Tags: