• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TMobile Update today

Last night I disabled Lookout. I took it off the charger this morning about 8 am with the battery at 100% and went about my day. I made a couple calls and used a couple of apps for a few minutes each. It is now 10 hours later and the battery is still at 88%. Not quite as good as it used to be, but pretty close.

More important, it has been about 20 hours since I disabled Lookout and my phone has not been hacked or exploited. I think people listen to Lookout's scare tactics just because they're accustomed to their Windows computers getting hacked all the time. Maybe someday Android will be as big a target, but for now, I'm going to leave Lookout turned off. Or maybe I'll turn it back on when they come up with a version that doesn't suck my battery dry.

Lookout is awesome its not about the antivirus bullshit at all i mean that's kinda cool and all but the phone finder and lockdown shit is where the big point of it is. I had my old phone stolen and didn't have any location software installed with Lookout atleast I have a piece of mind plus I lost my phone at buddies place (fell between seat and on ground used lookout made it scream from his phone and even he was impressed. Lookout is 100% worth it.

Upvote 0
I plug my phone in every night and have Lookout run its backup and stuff at 2 am when I'm asleep and with GSM Battery App I only see Lookout use 3% of the battery during the course of the day. Check your settings and make sure you don't have Lookout running it's backup during the day when your phone is not on the charger.

Upvote 0
I plug my phone in every night and have Lookout run its backup and stuff at 2 am when I'm asleep and with GSM Battery App I only see Lookout use 3% of the battery during the course of the day. Check your settings and make sure you don't have Lookout running it's backup during the day when your phone is not on the charger.

I have Lookout completely deactivated and stopped. I'd uninstall it if it was possible to do so. I have Where's My Droid in case I lose the phone, and I do not need to back anything up because there is nothing on the phone to back up. All my contacts are on Google, I have no photos, all my music is on the SD card, which was copied from the hard drive of my computer. Even my Firefox bookmarks are synced from my computer.

I am very happy without Lookout.

Upvote 0
After a few days of flawless performance from mine after updating, I decided to update my wife's. That went as smooth as mine did.

Neither are / were rooted, and both read & write to the SD cards just fine. Music plays properly & navigating the card is no problem.

Battery life is the same as before, quite long lasting even given the heavy usage mine gets.

Several months in, I'm finding these to be the best Samsung model thus far. I enjoyed both my S3 and S4, yet the S-Pen is very useful and a great addition. Suits my workflow ideally. Then there's the larger display and longer battery life that seals the deal.

I am completely happy.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I should update.

What do you guys think I should do?

Also, I started the update and it said it would take an hour. Is that accurate?

Finally got mine updated last night through odin and the official package.

I'm seeing extremely better battery usage. Unplugged my phone at 7 AM this morning. Had a 20 min phone call today with it. Checked email and facebook multiple times. At 8 PM i'm at 85%. This is with the stock battery.

All my files are there on my sdcard. It's working great now.

I honestly don't see any improvements in new technology though. It looks and feels the same as 4.3.

Upvote 0
After you taken the update did you perform a factory data reset

But that would delete all data on the device, a major pain.

When I got my Note 3 it took me more than two days to get all my favorite apps installed, to delete all the apps I didn't want, and to get everything configured the way I wanted it. I don't want to have to go through that all over again, not for an upgrade that makes no real benefit for the performance.

I did do the upgrade to Kit Kat, but after doing so I spent hours and hours getting the phone back the way it was, and it's still not quite as good as before.

The next time there is an upgrade I'll be opting out.

Upvote 0
My phone updated and now my battery seems to be draining very fast. Has anyone experienced this? Previously I only charged it every 3 to 4 days. It does not appear to have reset any of my settings either. I am a stay home mom and my phone only gets used 1 - 3 time daily. I don't have many apps on it because I use my tablet for those.
My Samsung Tab 3 10.1 (no cell service) also did an update (firmware). I have not seen any battery drainage on that one.
So I say hmmmm... My current stats are:

OS 4.4.2
2d 2hr 31m

Cell standby 20%
Android system 16%
Device Idle 15%
Android OS 12%
Voice calls 4%
Screen 3%

Are those good numbers? I just got the phone in January. I don't think the battery is defective.

Upvote 0
My phone updated and now my battery seems to be draining very fast. Has anyone experienced this? Previously I only charged it every 3 to 4 days.
OS 4.4.2
2d 2hr 31m
Cell standby 20%
Android system 16%
Device Idle 15%
Android OS 12%
Voice calls 4%
Screen 3%

Before the update my Note 3 used to be at about 90% at the end of the day. After the update it went down to 50% or less in one day. Looking at the battery usage I found the Lookout was the biggest battery user, where before I never noticed it even listed. I disabled Lookout and now my phone is down to about 80% at the end of the day - not as good as before, but acceptable.

I wonder, however, if the upgrade might have changed the battery status reporting software. Yes, the Note 3 is famous for having a huge battery, and yes, I am a light user, but it still amazed me that I could go all day and sometimes still be above 90%. So I suspect that the original battery software might have been reporting an incorrect percentage, which the update fixed, so now I am seeing what I should have been seeing all along. This is pure conjecture, however, as I have not researched the change log for Kit Kat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones