• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To anybody that knows a fair bit about Steam, I need help

kenio8185

Oct 15, 2010
So, I LOVE the Steam client and I've been using it for about a year now. However, I recently found some other digital download sites that offer deals on games that Steam doesn't.

These sites that I've found are:
Impulse Driven : Home : Digital Download Store, Latest Gaming News
Download Games | PC Games and Mac Game Downloads at Direct2Drive
GamersGate - Buy and download games for PC and Mac now

Gamersgate right now is selling Dead Space 2 for 33% off. If I buy this game, can I activate it on Steam and get all patches and updates through Steam? I know it won't work with a non-steam product, but Steam does have this product.

If the answer is no, then I won't be buying games from them, it will be too much of a hassle to remember the CD keys or every website that I buy from. If the answer is yes, then that is awesome.

If the answer is yes, can anyone else recommend some other digital download sites?

(Moved to the gaming section of the lounge).

As far as I know, that won't work. When you add a non-steam game to steam, you're essentially just adding a shortcut to your list of games; it doesn't tie into steam the way other games do.

The only exception I've seen to this was the humble bundle of games (a pack of 5 or so indie games sold for chairty). The games were offered outside of steam, but then later they sent you a code to add them to your steam purchases.

That was for charity though, so I imagine it's a bit of a one off.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
So, I LOVE the Steam client and I've been using it for about a year now. However, I recently found some other digital download sites that offer deals on games that Steam doesn't.

These sites that I've found are:
Impulse Driven : Home : Digital Download Store, Latest Gaming News
Download Games | PC Games and Mac Game Downloads at Direct2Drive
GamersGate - Buy and download games for PC and Mac now

Gamersgate right now is selling Dead Space 2 for 33% off. If I buy this game, can I activate it on Steam and get all patches and updates through Steam? I know it won't work with a non-steam product, but Steam does have this product.

If the answer is no, then I won't be buying games from them, it will be too much of a hassle to remember the CD keys or every website that I buy from. If the answer is yes, then that is awesome.

If the answer is yes, can anyone else recommend some other digital download sites?

Once the game is installed you wont need the CD key again so that isnt an issue.

Im sure you can do it as my flatmate does all the time, I could be wrong though so dont take my word for that.

Main thing is, why would you want too? You do realise that steam games have to have "steam" patches... Its like bloody waiting for Vodafone to release firmware..... OEM is best (Though dont get me wrong, I use steam... a lot!)

Upvote 0
iin some cases steam will allow you to activate a third party cd key to a steam account. ea on the other hand will not let them do this with ea games. so you might with some but you can't with ea, sorry ea makes the rules

More so now EA has relaunched its download system to Origin. they will be pushing that as much as possible. Even buying a Valve game from EA like Portal 2 will not allow you to use Steam anymore than a host for a shortcut. Steam simply wont recognize the key code as these are all steam encrypted especially.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones