• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To app or not? Numbers and SMS

Droid777

Jun 23, 2010
AZ
I needed to send a phone number via text this morning. At the moment I am using the Dinc and only know one way to send a phone number via text. That way being, to search my contacts, writing the phone number down on paper or memorize it, compose a text message with the number and then send it. Is there a shortcut or an app to just send the contact phone number straight to an sms and thereby bypassing the need to memorize or write the number down?

The is an app called "share contacts via SMS" it does just that. Pick your contact, select share, now share via SMS is included as one of the options. Works great.
Do you know if that would call up Google Voice sms instead of the normal android messages program for those of us who are cheating Verizon out of paying for a text message plan?

Upvote 0
Do you know if that would call up Google Voice sms instead of the normal android messages program for those of us who are cheating Verizon out of paying for a text message plan?

I don't know if that is an option since I just have an unlimited family text plan. I don't remember if I had to choose the program to use or not. It is free so you could just install it and try it, if you can't use GV delete it, if you can then it is a much easier option.

Upvote 0
I don't know if that is an option since I just have an unlimited family text plan. I don't remember if I had to choose the program to use or not. It is free so you could just install it and try it, if you can't use GV delete it, if you can then it is a much easier option.
That's a sensible idea, I was just lazy.

OK, downloaded it but can't figure out how to access it. It's not appearing as a program or widget. I have HTC Sense so get to my contacts via the People app. Long pressing on a person doesn't show the option to share. Oh, there's a Send Contact option under Menu - looks like Sense does this already!

But it only sends to regular SMS and as a vcard. It will also email the info, but tries to use the normal mail program and not gmail. I think I'll go back to copy/paste.

Upvote 0
That's a sensible idea, I was just lazy.

OK, downloaded it but can't figure out how to access it. It's not appearing as a program or widget. I have HTC Sense so get to my contacts via the People app. Long pressing on a person doesn't show the option to share. Oh, there's a Send Contact option under Menu - looks like Sense does this already!

But it only sends to regular SMS and as a vcard. It will also email the info, but tries to use the normal mail program and not gmail. I think I'll go back to copy/paste.

It doesn't show up as an app or widget at all, it just adds the functionality if your phone doesn't do it already. That's cool if sense does it already, I never tried it on a phone with sense because the only experience I have dealing with sense was on my wife's and daughter's Eris's before they both upgraded last week.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones