1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

To be kind to Newbies who get S3 for Xmas and post question rather than use search forum functionGeneral

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

This is my early New Year's Resolution.

Happy Holidays to all!

Advertisement
    :
    Stormlight, davoid, jackroo and 6 others like this.
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It is in the forum rules. But sometimes we may no the answer is here but not have time to find it ourselves. Surely offering advice on the search term for a complicated issue is constructive :)
    davoid, jackroo, Mikestony and 2 others like this.
  3. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

While it is easy to yell out "use the search noob", it's much more constructive to answer the question and refer the person to the search function next time and let them know that they can get an answer MUCH more quickly by doing this. ;)
    Mikestony likes this.
  4. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

I use the search before I post, but truthfully, it just doesn't always work well. So i'll post my question, just to have someone post a link to the answer or at least to another thread that discusses the same thing. making me feel like an idiot! :D

I think the ones that do this are usually the OP's of the original threads! LOL
    davoid and Mikestony like this.
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I agree. Search can be frustrating if you're unsure the answer is there but its less so when we know it is sometimes.
  6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

The search function on this site leaves much to be desired.
    However, a google search yields alot more results.
    That being said, I think what makes this forum unlike another forum I have posted in, is the fact we don't scold people for not searching first.
    As a guide, I was told it was o.k. to not search and just ask the question.
    I can't tell you how many "I can't open a command prompt" questions I have answered.
    Do most people search before asking? I would kinda hope so. I search before asking. :)
    But I won't frown upon the member who has not searched. :)
    xmr405o, CDPlant and davoid like this.
  7. wraithevolution

wraithevolution Well-Known Member

I'm all for this! I agree that people need to search first but I don't get huffed up if they don't. I always find it funny when someone responds with 4 lines of "why don't you search noob??" rants, when one line could have already answered the question!
    Fuzzy13 likes this.
  8. Fuzzy13

I agree. I try to search through Google. The search function within a forum can be aggravating especially when you get 5000 results that have nothing to do with what your looking for. Much easier to post, get in and get out and get your answer and move on. Trolls can make that process difficult though. :rolleyes:
  9. airtioteclint

airtioteclint Well-Known Member

It gets tiring answering the same questions all the time but kind of understandable too. Especially when someone's soft or hard bricked their phone. Panic ensues.
  10. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

No one is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to post, either.

We were all noobs once...
  11. Fuzzy13

Being a noob here I was worried like hell just because of how every other forum is. Full of know it all assholes. Luckily AF is the exception and is very strict and everyone was great through my process of learning. You can only pay it forward to keep it just as easy for the new guys cause I'm sure they are just as worried as I was. ;)
  12. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

As great a resource as this is, I often find it quicker to do a general google search with the desired key words. Usually lots of good results from various forums
  13. airtioteclint

airtioteclint Well-Known Member

Try reading past my first sentence, because in case you didn't know. We're advocating the same thing.
  14. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

So this thread turns ugly? Never would have expected that!!

Peace on earth to all during this time of year, even in forums! :)
  15. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

It just wouldn't be Christmas without a splosh of Advocaat.
  16. silentwitness

silentwitness Well-Known Member

Thats why i prefer this forum to XDA all u get on xda is people screaming at new posters.
  17. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

Answer the question once, subscribe to the post without mail notification (bookmark it basically) and just copy / paste the link to the original thread where you answered it the first time :)

That way you still answer if you so desire without having to retype everything. :)
  18. Archex

Archex Member

Like my 13 year old daughter told me .... if Google doesnt have the answer .... It isnt a REAL question.
  19. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

She is so right .. shocking how many people still don't know how to use google ... even if I don't have a clue - sometimes I google myself and it is usually amongst the first 5 hits ..
  20. Fuzzy13

Yeah Ill be at work and Ill tell my buddy to.........I dont know, see how much Verizon's termination fee is. (Example) And he'll go to Verizon's site and moap around for 10 minutes trying to find it and I'm like DUDE! Just google that ish.

Makes no sense to me. When I have a question, ANY question, Google is the first thing I think of. Even a song name. All you need is 3 words out of the song and you can easily find it. Even something as complex as having a specific problem. Type out your problem as if you were asking a professional into the search and you will find where someone else has asked the SAME question in some form or another. "Nexus Android When my phone first turns on, it blinks several times and freezes up and I have to pull the battery out. How can I fix this?" Google will find and match ALL of those words you just entered and will find where that same questions was asked somewhere else.

But Google also spawns the "Google Genius'" who think they know everything just because they can find the answer through a search engine. Finding the answer and then answering it randomly a year later when asked is different though. Haha.
  21. Musky

Musky Well-Known Member

f someone post a question that can obviously be found with a simple Google search, I sometimes can't resist using LMGTFY!

Then post the link as the answer to their question like this:

The best Android forum?
  22. Fuzzy13

Yeah I got a stern warning about using LMGTFY here. It was just too easy sometimes but I've learned my lesson. :D
  23. GoldenDiamond

GoldenDiamond Well-Known Member

google works well if you know what search terms to put in and some people just don't. especially if you are trying to describe your problem into google search.
  24. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of the argument, especially that google is your friend, but it seems like you shouldn't have to google something about android if you're a member of a forum dedicated to android. What is the point of being a member of this forum if you're just going to use google instead of inquiring of this helpful community and make the most of its accumulated knowledge and wisdom?

I also have to concede that sometimes using google will identify the very androidforums post that will answer your question... ;)
  25. Fuzzy13

The answer to this goes back to what we were talking about earlier and that's the search functions within a forum can be very confusing and can sometimes not yield the search results you want. Even when it's a common question you can get 5000 replies that have nothing to do with it.

So that's how using Google to search with came up. Most of the time I search for a phone related question, AF is one of the first choices so I will end right back at AF regardless. Google's search is just easier than forum searches especially for people that aren't computer savvy.