• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories To case or not to case?

Now that the phone has been out for a while, I would like to hear opinions on if it's better to leave the Atrix naked. I have a Speck candyshell case but I've been thinking of taking it off. Any testimonials?

You really need a case for the phone. It is very slippery and if dropped, something will break. I have an Outterbox Communter case and love it. I will be placing a Zagg Shield screen protector on as soon as I receive it. It's better to be safe then sorry. :D

Upvote 0
if you ever take it outta the house, get a case *and* a screen protector. That gorilla glass helps, but can be scratched pretty easily with a single drop on the pavement. I like the speck candy shell because it offers a fair amount of cushion w/o being too big or too sticky for sliding in and out of pockets.

Upvote 0
I go vote no case. Idk why I just hate cases. And screen protectors (isn't this suppose to be gorilla glass?)

Since it's an opinion thread I'll agree with this quote. Had the phone 2 months and no scratches on the screen at all. The phone is a perfect size on its own, no need for a bigger bulge in my pocket (queue the 'or are ya just happy to see me' jokes). Watched a couple youtube vids where they test the durability of the gorilla glass and it seems to be reasonably strong.

If you're worried though maybe the peace of mind in having the case would help you out?

Upvote 0
I think this phone definitely needs a case. It was way to slippery for me, and i always felt like i was going to drop it. I picked up an otterbox impact and like it, although i may be getting rid of it and grabbing a commuter. Im also a big fan of screen protectors, and have them on every phone i get. I picked up one of the Skinomi protectors for my Atrix and love it. Doesnt hold ANY fingerprints, offers great protection (and lifetime warranties), and you can hardly feel theres anything over the screen.

Upvote 0
I agree that the Atrix case is too slippery to use w/o a protective case. One good drop and it's all over. I picked up a simple, flexible black TPU case for a couple of bucks and it's great. It's grippy, small and light, and shock-absorbent. It keeps the screen off a flat surface when laid face-down, and is grippy enough to keep my phone from dropping from my shirt pocket under normal movement.

Upvote 0
If you want to use it in the car dock - no case.

I actually got mine to work in the car dock with a Body Glove case but have since given up on the case idea altogether. If you tend to drop things and treat them roughly get a case. I tend to be careful enough that I don't remember the last time I dropped my phone.

I paid for a thin phone - I want to keep it that way.

Ski

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've also been considering a skin like this: Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Black Carbon Fiber Film Shield & Screen Protector for Motorola Atrix 4G: Cell Phones & Accessories, which looks awesome. However, should I use the screen protector or not? Would it affect the reaction of the device to touch?

I have a Zagg Shield screen protector. It doesn't effect screen responsiveness at all and you can hardly tell its there. Its an antiglare/fingerprint protector too.

Upvote 0
Case, yes. Screen protector, no.

That's fine if you don't mind fingerprints - that glass is a *magnet* for fingerprints - and those things drive me crazy. The solution is a Steinheil screen protector.

Also, you *definitely* need a case. The plastic case on the Atrix is as slippery as a wet bar of soap.

-Mike

Upvote 0
I purchased a case when I bought my phone a few weeks ago. I'm not sure of the make, but it is a thin hard plastic snap on case. Unfortunately it does not fit the phone properly so there is a gap at the bottom where it won't close.

Can anyone suggest a case that I can get online for relatively cheap? I like a thinner, small profile case with a good grip and solid build. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I like the phone better in my Otterbox Commuter. It barely goes "thud" when dropped, the phone is being well protected. And it fits better in my paw, secure grip.

But on the car dock--no way in hell it is going to happen. Even with the insert removed, unless you tear off the cover on the USB socket, there's no way it will plug in, as the cover will force the phone too far forward or up, your choice, no way it will fit.

And those snug covers do sucha nice job if you're in rain or spray.

I may try drilling out a piece of the car dock, so the cover CAN sit out of the way, because I want to use the dock, but I value the protective cover more.

Upvote 0
I like the phone better in my Otterbox Commuter. It barely goes "thud" when dropped, the phone is being well protected. And it fits better in my paw, secure grip.

But on the car dock--no way in hell it is going to happen. Even with the insert removed, unless you tear off the cover on the USB socket, there's no way it will plug in, as the cover will force the phone too far forward or up, your choice, no way it will fit.

And those snug covers do sucha nice job if you're in rain or spray.

I may try drilling out a piece of the car dock, so the cover CAN sit out of the way, because I want to use the dock, but I value the protective cover more.

That sounds like a good idea. If you do it right, it might look as if it came that way. I have the same case on my phone, but use a universal car dock. So I don't have this problem.

Upvote 0
I have a spring-loaded universal,but it won't put the Atrix in "car" mode. Also pleasantly surprised to find the genuine Moto car dock locks the phone down with a cam, instead of spring-loaded arms. If we come to a sudden stop, I think this one has a better chance of keeping the phone from becoming a missile. Missiles being lousy phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones