• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TO CATCH A THIEF

Trueman2K

Lurker
Dec 22, 2015
Hi, I have a person stealing packages from my doorstep, walking about a 1/2 mile and discarding them in a nearby alley. Have found one empty box.
Hypothetically, I have an old android I could put in a dummy box and catch this person in the act. I am looking for a tracking app that will alert me as soon as the package is "on the move." There are dozens of apps but none seem to discuss this type of trigger. Can anyone recommend a software known to have this type of "on the move" alert?

Use a webcam and computer to catch them.
Something like this external webcam might be more suitable:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PIPCAM12...79395&sr=8-9&keywords=webcam+motion+activated

A while back I had set up a similar type in an office where things were 'disappearing' usually in the evenings. The motion detection was surprisingly effective even at night. Camera images during daylight tests were pretty good and covered a wide range, but when lit by the I/R LEDs at night they looked OK too, but only for a few feet.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
use an IR sensor to note when they pick it up, and have it trigger off a Cherry Bomb....

hmmmm, better put a delay on that so the delivery guy don't get the bomb :)

Better have a good lawyer, too, because you will probably be spending a few years as a guest at the state correctional facility. o_O

You can use Geofencer to trigger an action (ie send a text message or email) when the phone leaves the area. The problem is what do you do then? Chase them down and confront them? Not a good idea either.

I understand it's a horrible feeling of violation, but your best bet is to set up surveillance like a webcam and then file a police report once there is incriminating evidence. You'd also be wise to consult your local law enforcement agency to confirm that they'd even act on it.

Upvote 0
Download "Alfred" from Google Play on both your new and old phone, log into Google through Alfred on both devices, set up the old phone as the camera, and your current phone as the viewer, then stash the old phone in a flower pot pointing towards your front door. If you're worried about your camera dying, a portable battery might be a worthy investment.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones