• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To droid or not to droid (incredible)

twistedlim

Android Expert
Jun 9, 2010
I am currently waiting for my htc incredible and am getting more and more pissed off by the day. I am considering getting the moto droid and forgetting the whole htc drama.
My question is to all those who have upgraded to the htc from the moto:

1. Was it worth it?
2. Which do you prefer?
3. Anything that the droid can do or dinc that the other can't and is it a big deal?
4. Battery life, what to expect from the droid v the dinc?

I am sure these have been asked before but the searches are a pain to decrypt.

Thanks

There's quite a few people that came here saying they've switched back to the Droid. I'm sure you could go looking for those threads to see why they went back to the Droid.

I say if you're waiting this long and don't want a keyboard, you should be first in line for the Droid X. Screw the Droid Incredible.

The Droid can be overclocked to 1.2+ stable. So performance isn't an issue. IMO I'd rather have the 16gb card than the 8gb onboard. The X will have 8GB on board for apps and a 16gb card, apparently.

Upvote 0
I'll try to compare the Droid and the Incredible as objectively as I can.

Droid
Pros:
Physical keyboard
Sturdier
Better development community
Better CPU (once overclocked) and GPU
Clearer, brighter and higher resolution screen
Will receive OTA updates sooner

Cons:
Not everyone likes the physical keyboard
Heavier
Slower in stock form
Camera not particularly good

Incredible
Pros:
Lighter
Faster out of the box
Better camera
Higher contrast screen with blacker blacks and more vivid colors
Twice as much RAM
Large internal storage
Sense UI

Cons:
More fragile
Harder to root
Not much of a dev community for ROMS (at the moment)
Sense UI

With all of that being said - if you want a physical keyboard, wait for Droid 2, if not, get Droid X.

Upvote 0
I would want the incredible based on its size over Droid x. I want a lighter more compact phone. Droid x is most impressive yet specs wise. I love my Droid but really wish. I could strap it to my arm for a run but it's just too heavy. You guys have done a great job comparing the two though. Cheers! Ideally I would want something like the aria but with a bit more impressive specs I guess. Oh and yes the Dec community for the Droid is unreal. Just awesome

Upvote 0
I have a couple of friend that have the Moto droid and to tell you the truth it is difficult to hear them when they talk. Is this a common problem with the motorola
Not in my experience. Do they have cases on their Droids? if so, they need to make sure that the noise reduction mic isn't covered by the case (or that they way they hold it doesn't block it).

Was it worth it?
Keep in mind that worth is highly subjective and that another's perception of of worth is only relevant if needs/wants coincide with your own. Make sure you understand the "why" behind this question.

Rather than taking the (seemingly ever popular) shotgun approach, why don't you indicate what it is that you need/want so others can comment on why they think the Incredible would or wouldn't be a good fit? Selecting a smartphone is always about finding what specifically suits you best. You can poll people all day and make no progress in finding something suited to you.

Upvote 0
Not in my experience. Do they have cases on their Droids? if so, they need to make sure that the noise reduction mic isn't covered by the case (or that they way they hold it doesn't block it).

Keep in mind that worth is highly subjective and that another's perception of of worth is only relevant if needs/wants coincide with your own. Make sure you understand the "why" behind this question.

Rather than taking the (seemingly ever popular) shotgun approach, why don't you indicate what it is that you need/want so others can comment on why they think the Incredible would or wouldn't be a good fit? Selecting a smartphone is always about finding what specifically suits you best. You can poll people all day and make no progress in finding something suited to you.

All good points.
I don't have to linke to an exchange email. I will be using gmail and aol
I really don't play a lot of games
I will be checking web sites
I need good phone coverage (good reception as some of my areas are spotty to say the least)
Google maps must run smooth.
I carry the phone in my pocket, hate clips.
I will not use 7 screens but would like to set one up like I did with my wifes incredible for often used contacts.
I really need to be heard on the phone, tried it out in Best Buy with a sales person. the sound was not bad, a bit muffled. Perhaps turning off the background noise suppression will help. I will try this. if it works I think the droid will be for me. Besides it is a lot cheaper right now and there seems to be a lot of knowlege and support on this forum?

Am I thinking right and asking the right questions? Thanks!

I can get a home doc/car doc/ car chager from costco for $40 which is a plus since the incredible does not have a home doc and I don't see anyone rushing out to make one since the phone is not available.

I am leaning toward the droid if the incredible does not come by thursday. I played with the EVo and it was just to big to pocket so I think the X would be similar?

I would r

Upvote 0
I am currently waiting for my htc incredible and am getting more and more pissed off by the day. I am considering getting the moto droid and forgetting the whole htc drama.
My question is to all those who have upgraded to the htc from the moto:

1. Was it worth it?
2. Which do you prefer?
3. Anything that the droid can do or dinc that the other can't and is it a big deal?
4. Battery life, what to expect from the droid v the dinc?

I am sure these have been asked before but the searches are a pain to decrypt.

Thanks

Do not get an HTC Android phone. I have the Eris and it's been nothing but problems. I know you are talking about the INC here, but if you've read any of the INC forums, you will see similar issues with all the HTC devises. Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. Silent call issue-Phone goes completely silent. Have to reboot to fix
2. Battery drain
3. Reception coverage indicator is inaccurate
4. HTC tech support is lacking

I love the way the INC looks, but I do not trust HTC.

I have been going back and fourth with Verizon about my eris issues. they offered to upgrade me to the INC but I declined. i opt'd for the Moto Droid and no new contract so I can grab one of these super phones coming out later in the year. All of my opinions are from an actual HTC user. Go Moto...or Samsung...or anything else.

Upvote 0
One more thing, in using both the cameras the droid kills the incredible. The incredible focuses horrible. The mp means nothing in a car phone.

Yeah, we have discovered that a generic sensor driver is being used, and not the one for the specific camera; and we are trying to get the right driver to load now that we have root.

Also, a lot of people use AutoFocus instead of touch-to-focus, which makes a HUGE difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones