• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

to DSLR or not? that is the question

Notice you were also much closer to the subject in the second picture than in the first. That makes a huge difference.

There has to be a big difference in the distance to your subject and the difference to the surroundings in order to blur with larger aperture numbers (more closed). That's why I said you need a wide open aperture to accomplish what you want to do.

Yes a larger aperture (Smaller F.Stop Number) is always recommended for portraits in the magazines I've read. Never really had much chance to test it out.

Upvote 0
I bought a DSLR, and have not had the time to use it yet.

Actually, i dont even know how to use it at all.

How can one learn to use one???
Any good websites, youtube tutorials etc you know of?

see Post 67 for websites recommended.

i just bought a cannon t3i for dummies book. going through it now. so far it is very basic but has a lot of great info about the camera. they might have one for your specific camera. if not they also have a DSLR for dummies book as well.

Upvote 0
Guys, if you're considering Canon gear, don't forget about the upper level Canon DSLR cameras. Same for Nikon as well, but I don't know their model numbers. Instead of getting the Rebel series (550D, 600D, etc.) consider finding a gently used 40D, 50D, 60D or a full frame 5D Mark 1, Mark 2. The 5D series is amazing and even the older generation Mark 1 will outperform the best Rebel series Canon makes by a long shot.

If you MUST have new, then the most affordable option is the Rebel series. I understand. If you don't have to have new, give those other I recommended a look.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Guys, if you're considering Canon gear, don't forget about the upper level Canon DSLR cameras. Same for Nikon as well, but I don't know their model numbers. Instead of getting the Rebel series (550D, 600D, etc.) consider finding a gently used 40D, 50D, 60D or a full frame 5D Mark 1, Mark 2. The 5D series is amazing and even the older generation Mark 1 will outperform the best Rebel series Canon makes by a long shot.

If you MUST have new, then the most affordable option is the Rebel series. I understand. If you don't have to have new, give those other I recommended a look.

Well for Nikon, you only have 2 ranges now. Both lists, sort top best, bottom cheapest

Consumer

Professional

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones