To Everyone Who IS/WAS Having GPS ProblemsTips

Last Updated:

1. tonyc

tonyc Member

I am also having problems with the GPS lock. Was testing it out this morning in the car and it would only lock 5% of the time (on and off), with about 15meters of accuracy.. the rest of the time, it's not able to stay locked. I found that the way you hold (or place it inside the car, has to be flat) it has a big impact on the lock. In my opinion, this is completely unusable (as Google maps navigation thinks I am about half a city's distance away).

I will try the suggestion above and see if it helps, but I'm doubtful. My previous phones had absolutely no loss of lock and accuracy below 5 meters on the exact same route.

2. KappaG9

KappaG9 Well-Known Member

SUPL/CP Settings
    Port 7275
    SUPL Secure On

Application Settings
    Operation Mode Standalone
    Hot Start
    Accuracy 50
    Use SkyHook Off

These are the normal settings for the GPS.
  3. iamfiretruck

iamfiretruck Well-Known Member

I was not getting a lock at all and wireless signal put me 100+ miles from where i am. Its locking now takes about 20seconds, dead on accurate.

We will see how this goes...
  4. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

Doesn't skyhook use data though? I guess that's the price you pay for a more accurate lock on your location, but it definitely shouldn't be that way. Sucks to hear the GPS isn't working too hot, because I know I will be using that quite often when I pick up this phone
  5. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

can someone do a step by step of how to get to the menu you are referring to?

im going to Applications on the bottom of the phone screen (blue icon)

Settings then???
  6. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

Act like you're going to make a call and type this in: *#*#1472365#*#*
  7. KappaG9

Yeah, go to your dial pad like you're going to call someone and dial this number:

You don't have to hit call or anything, it will take you straight to the GPS menu that you usually can't get to. There you will see Applications and supl menus. you can mess around with them however you want. The settings i originally posted seem to work for me very well and other users but you can set it to what ever you want and play around with them. The original settings are in the first post as well so you don't have to worry about not being able to change them back.

Good luck!
  8. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

yeah...I was typing the last part of the #*#* wrong...DOH!
  9. KappaG9

Haha, it happens
  10. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

Just guessing, but Skyhook probably is there for AT&T Navigation. But, it might not work with Google Maps.
  11. siehead

siehead Member

Forgive the Noob questions, but you say to change the setting back to normal, but then you say to turn skyhook on. Which is it? If I read this correctly I think you are saying to only change the skyhook setting to on, am I right?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference is between using MS Assisted as the Operation Mode, and if anyone knew what Skyhook actually is/does.

12. KappaG9

sorry about the wordiness but yes change them back to normal but also turn skyhook on and in supl settings change to auto config instead of custom.
  13. Mugzee18

Mugzee18 Member

I actually found that Hot Start to Cold Start helped me lock in drastically faster, in almost 5 seconds. I havent tried it with setting Supl to Auto. I just switched it, so I'll check it out and see if that works even better.

Anyone switch to Cold start find that it works better?
  14. KappaG9

I used to use cold start then and it seemed to help but now I'm back to hot start
  15. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

Create a Contact.

First Name = GPS
    Last Name = Settings

Phone Number = *#*#1472365#*#*

Now you can either scroll thru your list or just dial *#* and it will
    give you that contact to dial, per normal numbers.
  16. KappaG9

Thats a good idea. I've noticed after i restart my phone sometimes it doesn't lock on but if i open the settings and just hit auto config and go back to maps it locks on.

Maybe its just in my head lol who knows...
  17. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

GPS doesn't really work even after doing this.
  18. KappaG9

Doesn't really work as in not being accurate or not locking on at all?
  19. olieebur

olieebur Active Member

Ok I now have a problem. Before, My GPS was working okay. the only thing that was wrong was that it was very jumpy but it locked sometimes. Now that I did this fix. I have been having trouble actually USING the Navigation app. the GPS location finds my location quick, but when I try to use navi, it loads forever and doesn't get into the turn by turn directions. I put the default settings back to normal but it's still acting the same way. Any suggestions? Not being able to use navigation at all is really lame right now :(
  20. KappaG9

Did you try to reboot after applying settings?

And did navigation work before?
  21. olieebur

olieebur Active Member

Yeah I reboot immediately after applying the settings each time. it worked before I did this, but now it doesn't work at all. Not sure what to do anymore, for now i'm just waiting it off and seeing it will work again soon.
  22. olieebur

olieebur Active Member

Alright my navigation started working again. I just had to give it some time actually looking for the GPS satellites in navigation. I left it on to search for a long time and eventually it ended up finding it. Not sure if I want to put the fix settings back on. I will see later if my GPS is accurate this time.
  23. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

I think my GPS just gave up working at all now. It hasn't locked on since maybe sometime Tuesday. I'm thinking of calling it a defect and swapping out for another Captivate.
  24. lilbluu

lilbluu Member

i use my gps a lot and like this phone more than the 3gs. I'll wait for a fix to come out but i know its a software issue. I had an issue before with getting a fixed signal. tried the xda fix, didnt work. set back to factory settings and BAM it worked but only until i restarted my phone and now no lock again.
  25. Fixintu

Fixintu Member