To Evo Owners: Would you buy evo today/recommend it?

Would you buy the Evo again or wait for EPic or a different 4G phone?

1. Yes- would choose Evo

503 vote(s)
    90.1%
  2. No.. would pick different phone

55 vote(s)
    9.9%

Last Updated:

1. orangeeater

orangeeater New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Evo has been out for a few months now and many should have a lot of experience with it. The reviews have all been positive...great in fact. Obviously, its first competition (Epic) comes out in a week.

If you read the forums, there are many complaints, such as crack near the power button, 30 fps limit, concern over video quality, problems with 2.2, etc. I am not sure if this these are minor issues that mainly bother the techie type that posts here.. or most users overall.

Would you purchase the Evo again if you had to do it over? WOuld you recommend it to a friend, or would you tell them to pick a different phone due to the complaints above (wait for Epic.. or wait a few months for another 4G phone)

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Yes. Without a doubt. Yes.

Connectz likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Yes, I recommend it often.

4. 81_

81_ Banned

no problems with mine.

i would say, all new android phone users should get a 15 minute class on battery conservation tho

5. mainiac777

mainiac777 New Member

I love the EVO. best phone i have had. recommend it to everyone.

6. grindstoneslave

grindstoneslave Well-Known Member

Still love mine!!!:D

7. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Well-Known Member

If carrier was irrelevant I would have a hard time recommending the Evo over the Droid X. Better battery life, faster GPU, etc. I do prefer the aesthetics of the Evo, though.

8. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

My friend's Droid X is sooo laggy compared to my rooted EVO, not to mention that my battery also lasts longer.

9. farrellcollie

farrellcollie Well-Known Member

We have both a droid x and an evo. I do not find the droid x lags and it gets a lot better battery life for us, but I love sense and I think it makes the evo easier to deal with initially. We have both due to sprint pissing off my partner. I really like both phones and would happily recommend either of them.

10. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

Well I am with sprint so what other phone would I get? Literally the only other option for anything close to this phone is the epic. If I really wanted a physical keyboard and added bulk, I would have waited.

11. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

At the current time, the Evo is the phone to beat. Also, it sure helps that it is on sprint. But I am just one of those folks the likes to have features on my phone and also likes to save money.

12. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

Oh yea, I recommend it highly... especially since im on my 2nd evo. :D

13. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

My Evo is the single most satisfying electronics purchase I've made in the last 5 five or 10 years. I would have three in the family plan if it wasn't such a shell game to find them. I am discovering new features and possibilities every single day with this "phone". Calling it a "phone" just doesn't seem to do it justice. Can't wait until I am able to get root and explore even more!

While I love the Android platform, I was helping a co-worker explore his new Droid X (nice phone) and not meaning to bash any other Android, I wouldn't trade him phones for all the "tea in China". I think the nice thing about Android as a whole is that the phone truly does become "your phone" with your personality, tastes, etc. Heck I was helping a couple of other co-workers with their Evo's and I wouldn't want theirs either. :)

kaisies likes this.
  14. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

Yes. I would recommend it.

15. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

Its such a great phone. Coming from a Hero to the Evo, I couldn't be happier! My husband still has the Hero and I can't even take making a phone call on that slow, LAGGY, (better off as a paper weight) Phone! As for the Epic... I love Sense UI. I loved it every since I first picked up the Hero and is the only reason I held on to it til the Evo arrived. I have a friend that has an IPhone and keep telling him he needs to come to the darkside! He said no way! I will see them all in a week and after he gets a look at my phone I think he might start to reconsider!

16. MsRandall

MsRandall Well-Known Member

Yep the Evo is my favoritee phone and I have owned alot of them

17. orangeeater

orangeeater New Member This Topic's Starter

thanks to everyone so far! I really wanted the Evo.. then read all the complaint threads on here which made me confused

Good to know that 95% or more of people love it.. i played with it in the store and think it is awesome..

18. FunDroid

FunDroid Banned

Its a good phone but it has issues.

19. knightwolf123

knightwolf123 Well-Known Member

If I could buy a second, third, an fourth at a good price I would. One to dedicate itself to my pc, another to root and play with, my current one for the best mobile data ever!!!!!! And a forth to give to my wife

20. Mikey P

Mikey P Well-Known Member

Love love love this phone. No complaints at all

RollBravesRoll likes this.
  21. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard of the incredible or the vibrant/galaxy? I know an incredible owner who wanted to stay on V, and a vibrant owner who wanted to stay on t-mo. Both are excellent choices.

I like my EVO better, it's just not near the only game in town.

22. con40

con40 Member

I recommend this over the incredible or iphone 4 anyday.

23. hemdroid78

hemdroid78 Member

Yes, but id warn about the piss poor battery.

gregs887 and titojackson like this.
  24. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE my Evo!! I had the Pre and the Hero - the Evo is so much better than both! We now have 3 people using Evo's on our account and everyone is happy!! It's an awesome phone!!:D

25. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

I just played around with a co-worker's Captivate. I have to say that the screen, while nicer looking than the one on my Evo, is small in comparison. There was really nothing on the Epic that enticed me over the Evo, but I had never seen the screen in action and now that I have... eh. I'll keep my Evo for sure.

What I really missed were the Sense widgets. With the Evo being my first Android phone, I never realized they were from Sense.

And the four capacitive buttons would drive me insane. It's not just that the backlight goes out, but when it does, the buttons stop responding. So you have to touch the button area one, two, or multiple times to wake it up and then hit the button. The Evo buttons are so much more responsive and don't go to sleep if the backlight goes off.

I just showed off my Evo to my brother in law and his sister. They both have Pres right now, but they would consider the Evo when they're contract is up.

But yeah, the only reason I wouldn't recommend the Evo is if the person has very serious issues with the size or needs a keyboard. I don't want to tell them they will get used to it because that's personal preference.

ETA: and yes, some people really hate charging their phone every day. I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me, but that's the one thing my brother in law hates about his Pre.