To Kill Apps or Not to kill apps. That is the question...Support

Last Updated:

1. Dbnguy

Dbnguy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I posted this under applications and got zero response :)

Anyone here care to share thier views?

For the last few days I have disabled task killer, and since then havent killed a single app. First day the phone got laggy and I had to reboot, but since then no issues. Ive installed a memory meter and it got right down to 10% available memory before it got laggy. now it averages about 35% free memory (92mb)

Ive read that frequently killing background apps is not really good for the operation of the phone?
    Should I Install a Task Manager/Killer on My Android Device? | DroidTalk

This sounds true, or am I being suckered into the media :p Should I rather leave all the apps running in the background?

When I did have Task panel running most of the apps where on the autokill list, but when ever I open taskpanel, all these apps are listed under active apps, but are all highlighted in red. Any idea as to why?

Are these apps actually being killed or is this whole app killer a farce???

Thanks in advance

Lee

Advertisement
  2. xx_raj_xx

xx_raj_xx Well-Known Member

personally not to kill any more.. ditched ATK a few days ago and havn't noticed any lag or change to the battery life.

Raj

3. Hunted

Hunted Well-Known Member

well i was a fan of task killers but a update/factory reset left me with an empty phone and i forgot to redownload it and it lasted about 3 days so? kinda depends what firmware your on i think.. when i was running 014 yeah it made a difference but 024 doesn't seem to suck the life out of the battery as much so??? i guess it depends how ocd you are about the whole thing really..

4. frankbonatelli

frankbonatelli Well-Known Member

You know this is a real funny thing "to kill or not to kill apps" I too started out in the android world killing all to save on battery life and speed things up. Then I read a detailed report on how the os uses ram memory and memory management. Seems they have taken a page from MAC osx and have architecture built into the kernel that is smarter then we are in how it should handle things. After that I deleted all of the different task killers I had tried.

Its been three month now and I have not looked back. I now use android os monitor to see whats going on under the hood. But let the os decide what to do or not regarding running apps.

Firmware updates are what you need to be on top of. They have kernel updates that will adjust for on going issues with the phone and os.
    Well thats my ten cents worth at least. Hope you find it a little less murky an issue now.

5. Shonan

Shonan Well-Known Member

yeah im with you and that one, i got rid off last week, and phone has bin running much better, kinda figured let the phone do it its self and its doing all rite

so i would say NO dont kill :D

6. Dbnguy

Right that settles it. App killers - KILLED :)

Thanks for the info guys, was leaning this way anyways :)

7. niles

niles Active Member

I just removed taskiller of my phone and timescape loads up almost instantly, before it use to take about 7-8 sec to load up, plus my phone runs a lot more smoother. Also i use ADW launcher and there is no lag when opening the drawer menu. Thanks for info, helped a lot :)

8. Dbnguy

Niles are you rooted? Im considering un-rooting my phone but REALLY love ADW..... Will be sad if I had to revert to the standard launcher :-(

9. JDwan

JDwan Well-Known Member

.....but you don't need root to use ADW. I haven't rooted my phone and I use ADW with no problem.

Also, from some of the responses in this thread, I think I am about to remove Auto Task Manager from my X10.

10. niles

niles Active Member

ADW doesnt need root access, when i had my unrooted phone i still ran ADW. Now i have a rooted phone and it still works well.

At JDwan, my x10 works much more better now after i unistalled taskiller, just restart your phone after u unistalled it, also made sense in the first post link

11. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I had a few days of not killing having read various threads of this kind but I found the battery performance not as good. That said I didn't uninstall it just ignored it. So maybe I didn't give it the right chance, might have another crack with what you suggest and see how I go.

12. DroidRocker

DroidRocker Well-Known Member

I've never seen a problem using the ATK or watching what's going on with the "system" app. In fact, I'm one of the many users whose phone has succomed to the "Low On Memory" and "Low On Space" notification. That's when I STARTED using the task killers. For me, many of the apps I use do NOT have EXIT buttons and just stay running and keep hogging memory, one by one...and the last thing I want is another hard reset because apps don't close.

So, if you don't use a killer...do most of you just let everything keep running in the background with the apps with no exit buttons?

13. Shonan

Shonan Well-Known Member

Yeah jus tend to let the phone manage its self as was ment to and it seems to work sooo much better, only thing i use is JD which aids the batt and work ok for me...