• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help To Kill...Or Not To Kill?

Do I need a task killer for the Evo?

If so, which one is the best and how is it best used?

If no, why not?

The Android Operating System was designed to shut down idle apps after a period of time, therefore, a task killer is not needed. If you run games or something, then you can use a task killer to select the few apps you know you can shut down, but just Killing All Apps is supposedly worse for battery life/phone then just letting them idle out.

Upvote 0
Do I need a task killer for the Evo?

If so, which one is the best and how is it best used?

If no, why not?

I'm using a task killer until root for EVO is released. I'm really just killing the Sprint bloatware when I boot, and occasionally when it reappears. For example, Amazon MP3 store keeps opening itself up on the phone. I don't need it, I don't want it. So, ATK gets rid of it and Sprint Zone and Sprint TV and all the crap that Sprint forces to load, that I don't want.

Once root is available, I'll just uninstall the software that I don't want to boot, or use a boot manager to keep it from running and I won't need a task killer anymore.

Upvote 0
Hon...I wouldn't base your decision based on what has been proven.

Personally, i've used Android since november 2009 and without a task killer it is an extremely miserable experience. My memory is always at 26m and it runs incredibly slow.

With a task killer, it is so much better and makes me love Android.

But my opinion of using it is subjective as are all opinions.
I've read what has been "proven" and i don't buy it(but i don't knock anyone who decides they don't want a task killer)

Get your evo...run it task killer free and if you find it going slow, download ATK or task panel pro i think it's called

But don't base your opinion on what has been "proven"

Upvote 0
Hon...I wouldn't base your decision based on what has been proven.

Personally, i've used Android since november 2009 and without a task killer it is an extremely miserable experience. My memory is always at 26m and it runs incredibly slow.

With a task killer, it is so much better and makes me love Android.

But my opinion of using it is subjective as are all opinions.
I've read what has been "proven" and i don't buy it(but i don't knock anyone who decides they don't want a task killer)

Get your evo...run it task killer free and if you find it going slow, download ATK or task panel pro i think it's called

But don't base your opinion on what has been "proven"

I mean no disrespect sweetie, but you sound like one of those climate change deniers...Ignore the science, nothing to see here, move along...

Unless of course you're being sarcastic.

Put me down as another vote for "no task killer needed".

Upvote 0
Only reason I can think of why you'd really need a task killer if there are apps running and you never use them (carrier's apps) or if the app does not have an exit feature. Otherwise, you shouldn't be using a task killer as most posters have stated :)

So for me a task killer is good to have on my phone, but not something I use religiously (like some people)

One of my favourite apps that has TK function: Quick System Info

Quick System Info v1.4.6 Application for Android | Tools

Upvote 0
I mean no disrespect sweetie, but you sound like one of those climate change deniers...Ignore the science, nothing to see here, move along...

Unless of course you're being sarcastic.

Put me down as another vote for "no task killer needed".

lol i'm not quite sure what you mean

but no i wasn't being sarcastic. I was being honest.

Use or non-use of a task killer is subjective and if it was truly proven then when i use a task killer i wouldn't see a need for one.

Nothing that has been proven about task killers being bad or unnecessary as far as i'm concerned which is why I believe they are subejctive.

And like i stated those who use, more power to you and i respect those who don't

Upvote 0
lol i'm not quite sure what you mean

but no i wasn't being sarcastic. I was being honest.

Use or non-use of a task killer is subjective and if it was truly proven then when i use a task killer i wouldn't see a need for one.

Nothing that has been proven about task killers being bad or unnecessary as far as i'm concerned which is why I believe they are subejctive.

And like i stated those who use, more power to you and i respect those who don't

I mean that it is not subjective and it has been proven. So when you say that it hasn't been "proven" and you're going to use it anyway, you're like those who deny climate change. The facts are there, if you want to do something else that's fine, more power to you. Just know that what you're doing flies in the face of reality.

Did you read the thread linked above? If not, just check this link: FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

Upvote 0
I mean that it is not subjective and it has been proven. So when you say that it hasn't been "proven" and you're going to use it anyway, you're like those who deny climate change. The facts are there, if you want to do something else that's fine, more power to you. Just know that what you're doing flies in the face of reality.

Did you read the thread linked above? If not, just check this link: FAQ: Why You Shouldn

Upvote 0
I read the article a while ago. It's a very well-built system, but reading it as a programmer, it seems that Android's built-in autokilling procedures are dependent on the hosted applications behaving as they should.

Personally, I know that I'm going to test this by first getting all of my applications installed, sans-task killer, see how long the battery goes, and then try it again with a task killer. I'll try to get it kicked off in the late evening to keep the "experiment" controlled by avoiding phone calls and the like. 4G will be off since I'm not in a 4G market.

An interesting debate, for sure.

Upvote 0
How is my opinion of using one and why i use it not subjective?
i'm a pretty intelligent girl and I know what the word means?

"taking place within the mind and modified by individual bias"
Regardless if it is proven...i don't believe it to be 100% bad.

even some ppl say they don't like task killers but they only use it to kill apps i.e. sprint crAPPS or whatever

so yes...the use of task killer is subjective to the person using or not using it.

Exactly!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones