to OTA or not to OTAGeneral

Last Updated:

1. danny01327

danny01327 New Member This Topic's Starter

So, the OTA is expected to roll out tomorrow. That being said, my Eris is running leak 2.1 v3 and I am interested in rooting. The leaks have an exploit which means there is a possibility to root and this exploit could be patched up in the OTA version. This exploit has supposedly been being worked on for over a month and nothing has worked yet. Therefore, should I upgrade to the OTA version when it becomes available or hold off for a little bit and wait to see if (and its a big if) the leaks can be rooted? Also, there is a possibility that the OTA version will still contain this exploit. Let me here your feedback!

Advertisement
  2. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

People have been waiting so long for the OTA.......just do it. IMHO.

3. tkryan

tkryan Member

If you upgrade with the OTA cant you reload the leaked version at a later date?

4. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I am running 2.1v3, and I will update to whatever the "Official" operating system version is. I would imagine it wouldn't be long until someone extrapolates means to root the OTA version. If one considers not accepting the OTA when it becomes available, it may become frustrating if there is constant reminders in the notification bar. Unless, of course there is a way to disable that.

5. Foxcow

Foxcow Well-Known Member

I will be taking the OTA version. I held out this long with 1.5.

6. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

You will be nicely prompted and then you will have no choice except to upgrade. I think you get something around 12 hours before it goes into mandatory mode. I am very surprised that an update that will wipe your phone is going to be mandatory.

7. Tamasabian

Tamasabian Well-Known Member

Might I suggest going root rather than wait for the OTA? Even when the OTA comes out, if it comes out, the devs here will have a rom of it in no time anyway so you might as well take advantage of the root benefits as well.

Just my take on it. :)

8. alprazolam

For those on 1.5, I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately for us leakers....

9. hlaalu

hlaalu Well-Known Member

I think the OTA is going to be flawless, or at least close to it. Looks like they will have most of the bugs worked out, and some new features added. I don't know much about root but my guess is that if they can figure it out for the leaks, they can figure out how to root the OTA. Just depends on how patient you are :)

10. thecoard

thecoard Well-Known Member

I just don't know how long I will be willing to wait.

11. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

I'm holding off... My brother's friend knows this guy who's a wicked programmer and he says he can root my phone. He programs with coffee normally but says he can hack "anything" so I'm going to wait for him.

12. orchard_112

orchard_112 Member

I agree for those on 1.5 still. I had been holding out for the OTA, I rooted from 1.5 two days ago. Here's my reasoning.

1) The Devs are going to come out with a ROM based off of the OTA and it should work as good if not better than the OTA. They will also release fixes much faster and be more forthcoming regarding the fixes than Verizon. They also will offer ROMs for future Android updates after Verizon/HTC stops supporting the Eris (at least I am assuming this).

2) Rooting is EASY. Look at the "all-things-Root" discussion forum. I rooted using an application called Eris Master Application - read the discussion thread - it's short. - I chose the Eris Official Rom and it's nice and bug-free as far as I can tell. But it's super easy to change your ROM, and once you're rooted changing ROMS doesn't necessarily mean have to reinstall all your preferences and apps.

3) Wireless / Wired Tethering. Need I say more?

13. alprazolam

Serious question. If you are not rooted, how do you hold off on a mandatory update?

14. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

It will tell you an update is available and ask if you want to proceed. You tell it yes or no. The presumption is you'll only be able to say "no" so many times as VZW wants all users to be on the same s/w version for support reasons.

15. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

edit: Wrong thread...oops. Anyway, interesting fact. My name was supposed to be deathrattlehead, but I left out a letter because I was so anxious to register, lol.

POST JUSTIFIED!

16. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

Yep I'll be down loading the OTA as well

17. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I had actually wondered about that.

18. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

I'm kinda in the middle about the OTA, im leaning more root now but if the ota becomes mandatory well then the race is on.....try and root.