to root or not to root and what rom to use?

Last Updated:

1. lay6

lay6 Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to rooting. I have been doing some research but I am unclear on a few things.

The reason I want to root is to use the phone as a wifi hot spot using the wifi.apk

Also I would like to have some improved performance over clocking etc...

However I use the sprint GPS program daily.

Is there a way to have the best of both worlds and if so what is the best way to go about it?

Advertisement
  2. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Hi I'm guessing the Sprint GPS app is for Sprint phones?

If so you are in the wrong forum. Please post this thread over here

The guys other there will be more familiar with your phone / your problems as this is forum is more GSM Heros.

Thanks

3. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

If you root and install Fresh 1.1 I think you should be covered. I know it has wireless tethering on it, which would cover your need for a wireless hotspot. If by Sprint GPS you mean Sprint Navigation app, I believe that is working too. I never used the Navigation, but I believe it works.

When I switch back to Fresh 1.1 I'll test and confirm. That is of course unless someone else currently running it can confirm for me.

4. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Well-Known Member

Sprint Nav works fine, I use it all the time. Just use the pre-kitchen in the above poster's sig to add it on after you flash the Fresh ROM onto your phone. Wireless tethering is included with the ROM.

You will not be able to overclock, but if you install the Gumbo Kernel you will be able to control your CPU speed up to the normal max of 528mhz.

5. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

for roght now if i were you i would just stay with the 1.5 roms just cause of stability and good battery life until more of the bugs get worked out of the 2.1 roms