To root or not to root that is the question

Last Updated:

1. StillHacking

StillHacking Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 13, 2010
    OK So I like to fiddle and push the envelope, and free wifi tether is a must have in the toolkit for me.

The questions are, if you root now you can play now but can you update to 2.2 when YOU want and not be surprised?

If you upgrade to 2.2 and it mater-of-factly removes root access do your root only applications disappear or just cease to function? What if you one click root or unroot now, Same question?

Until 2.2 is compromised and root is again obtained (insert wishful thinking here) is it game over for root and no going back?

All this assumes root is obtained and nothing is deleted just a few apps added. My guess is it would be great to play now while you can, hoping that 2.2 is rooted soon. Having not played before, the custom roms sound great but are not a source of anguish for me.

Eclair? Froyo? I'll stick with 2.1 and 2.2

Still waiting on my DX,

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I'm sure they'll get 2.2 rooted in no time. Motorola locked the bootloader, but clearly was unable to prevent root from being established on 2.1, so there's no indication to me that they would be able to prevent it on 2.2. Someone will find a root exploit. Also, coming from someone who has gone from 2.1 to 2.2, you want 2.2, trust me. The speed difference alone is tremendous even on my old Droid. I can't imagine how fast the DX will scream with it.
  3. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I second that!! 2.2 on the original Droid was smokin!
  4. pm1066

pm1066 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Root, but don't be stupid. Just because, for example, you can remove a hundred files from bloat, don't. Only hit the ones that hog resources--about 5-7. Since we have another month before 2.2 hits, I went ahead and did it for a) the experience and b) to improve resources, maybe even bat life.
  5. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I recommend doing what I intend to do when Froyo comes out.

Wait for others to upgrade first. If root is easily re-obtainable, (it will almost definitely remove root upon upgrading) then upgrade at your heart's content and re-root after doing so. If it seems that people can't simply re-root via original methods, wait it until out we can. If you would rather be forced to stick with 2.1 root for only a matter of days or weeks instead of a, "locked down," 2.2 non-root, then stay where you're at and upgrade when root is achieved.

That's my plan anyway. :D