To Root or not to Root, that is the question!

Last Updated:

1. jan2lid

jan2lid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As title highlights.
    I am sick of waiting for the update (2.1) on the Hero (UK).
    I am increasingly frustrated about the amount of apps that aren't compatible with 1.5.
    My phone is still under warranty (till September). Should I just go for it and root or wait (for who knows how long) for the official update.
    Pro's and con's please? ;)

Advertisement
  2. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Pro... You wont brick your handset

Con...You might brick your handset

3. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

My phone works so no.
    Calm down we'll still have close to the best phone on the platform (new hardware the exception to that rule)

4. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Pros:
    * You can install a custom ROM (highly recommend modaco 3.2, its noticably faster than stock 2.73)
    * apps2sd
    * market enabler
    * wireless tethering
    * other cool root only stuff, e.g. titanium backup, drocap2 screen capture app

Cons:
    * It can be very difficult to obtain root on some firmwares (e.g. apparently T-mobile 2.73 is a pain)
    * Theoretically you could brick your phone, dont know if anyone has actually done that yet though
    * Voids warranty - you can flash back to non-rooted firmware, but if youre returning the phone cos its faulty, and that fault is serious enough that you *cant* flash it back...

Personally i wouldnt root just to install a hacked 2.1 ROM, from what i read the ones available arent 100% there yet (theyre derived from a leaked build from december). The official release may be only weeks away.

HOWEVER, if you want to root at some point, then suggest you do it BEFORE 2.1 comes out, as it may be impossible after youve installed that.

5. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

+1
    That is what I about to say!!!

6. jan2lid

jan2lid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just try and be patient and wait for the official release! :)