To Root or not to root

Last Updated:

1. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Going through a bit of an internal conflict here, and I'm just looking for a little bit of advice.

I am not a moron. I believe that I am completely capable with all of the step by step posts out there of successfully rooting my phone (a moto droid). However, I am also not by any stretch of the imagination a hacker, so I am a little apprehensive of the off chance of bricking my phone.

I am not overjoyed that rooting voids the warranty, but by all indications unrooting the phone takes it back to factory conditions, so it ends up being no harm no foul.

What I want is even more customizability than what the droid already offers me. I want to be able to add things to my default ringtones and notifications directories, change the bootup animation, HAVE ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS, change the status bar color theme, among other little things here and there. I also however, do not want to compromise any stock functionality of the phone as a trade off. Now from what I understand, the 2.1 upgrade will get me a lot of what I want, so should I wait for that to be officially released for the droid, or do I take the plunge and root to 2.1?

So yeah, let me know what you think.

Advertisement
  2. ldougherty

ldougherty Well-Known Member

The process is really easy but if you are uncomfortable just wait for the 2.1 update

Mind you there is no option for customized task bar in 2.1 that I'm aware of.

3. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

Personally I think it's best to wait, but it really depends on how important that stuff is to you. I don't want to risk bricking my phone, they're just too expensive. I might try it when I'm about to get a new phone anyways so I don't have to worry about it as much.

4. reznorfan0

I know it doesn't create the option because of 2.1, but somebody found a way to do it, requires a root of course.

5. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

6. ldougherty

yea I know, I did it on my phone and then proceeded to change the task bar color about 10x before finding something I like :)

7. reznorfan0

well the other thing is that I am a complete virgin when it comes to linux. So I will be playing only within the world of xp.

8. ldougherty

Rooting is simply a matter of copying a bunch of a files to your PC and copy/pasting the commands that are documented via a command prompt.

To do anything once it is rooted required a bit more familiarity with simple Linux navigation and commands.

9. travisr528

travisr528 Well-Known Member

I have not rooted, but I am very familar to flashing with windows mobile. I would suggest make a friend that roots, if you are uncomfortable. Watch a couple of how to root video's. I am sure it is not hard, you just have to get the steps down and then you would not want it anyother way. Also visit some of the custom rom chefs and ask a question in there. Good luck and happy rooting!

10. cipatspa

cipatspa New Member

I accept with information:Rooting is simply a matter of copying a bunch of a files to your PC and copy/pasting the commands that are documented via a command prompt.

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

LOL the stuff the OP talks about wanting to root for are pretty frilly reasons, purely window dressing stuff.

For me, the major attractions of rooting is the ability to run apps off the microSD card. That's a killer feature that I wish Google would program this as an option so then people wouldn't be as concerned about the 256 ~ 512 MB internal memory limitation.

12. reznorfan0

Heh, I won't argue that, i'm just a nut when it comes to customization