• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Root OR not to Root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new to Android. I am considering rooting my Droid but I have one question that I have not seen a definitive answer for. My Droid is running the current 2.0.1 version of the OS. I would like the 2.1 update but I want to wait until the official update is released and not install a half-baked ROM modified from the Nexus One. Here is my question, if I root my Moto Droid will I still receive the 2.1 OTA update or will I have to manually install future updates?
As I understand it, a rooted droid will not be able to get the ota update, but the developers will have that same update available for rooted droids to download and manually install.
I know your concerns, and I finally just did it (rooted, and installed 2.1). The version of 2.1 on the following thread http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/33637-android-2-1-moto-droid-new-post.html does not seem to be half baked. It is running on my phone way better (quicker, very responsive) than 2.01 did.

Upvote 0
I myself rooted a few weeks ago. Since then, I've upgraded 2 versions while never having to wipe any data from my phone. Personally, I'm very glad I did, but like most people on this forum have pointed out: it's only worthwhile if you'll actually utilize the benefits. Some of the cool features that I've found helpful are: flashing a custom ROM which is faster, more stable, and contains added functionality (like wireless tethering), Nandroid backups are also nice, and the ability to move your apps to your SD card is useful.

Upvote 0
Dude
If you don't like the post, don't read it!

The most common answer when searching for this subject is "If you have to ask, don't do it". Which is not very helpful and doesn't impress anyone.

Again.. Don't read the post!

I read this with the hopes that someone would have new insight, or have a more personalized question with circumstances that would make the thread interesting and NEW.
I am not alone in my original statement and I stand by it.
Do some reading rather than, basically, telling us that it's too much to wade through to get your answer.
Creating a new thread because you don't want to put in the search and read work is lazy and it pisses people off.

As people above commented, you are off on your assumptions and some simple reading would really help you out.
I just hit the search and they are everywhere - how do I, should I, simple guide, bricking, root-noobs, etc.
There is actually an EXACT title like yours about ONE WEEK ago:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/35170-root-not-root.html

I will read and comment as I please. :cool:

Upvote 0
No im saying that after I search, I have to root through hundreds of off topic " I'm the wittiest geek" posts and smart a$$ comments too find my answer buried four pages in.
Its just easier to start a clean thread. So that's what I'll do.

And BTW - if that's what you'll do, good luck getting solid answers from educated members who answered the same questions in other threads.

Upvote 0
I read this with the hopes that someone would have new insight, or have a more personalized question with circumstances that would make the thread interesting and NEW.
I am not alone in my original statement and I stand by it.
Do some reading rather than, basically, telling us that it's too much to wade through to get your answer.
Creating a new thread because you don't want to put in the search and read work is lazy and it pisses people off.

As people above commented, you are off on your assumptions and some simple reading would really help you out.
I just hit the search and they are everywhere - how do I, should I, simple guide, bricking, root-noobs, etc.
There is actually an EXACT title like yours about ONE WEEK ago:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/35170-root-not-root.html

I will read and comment as I please. :cool:

What pisses me off is the fact that a simple thread will have 175 posts, where 125 of them will be smart ass non helpful answers by people who claim to be "in the know", just so they can pad their post count and get to then next member level. Grow up!

The point I've been trying to make for the last few days, is that its a shame such a wealth of information has to be tarnished by a handful of unhelpful rude members.

Upvote 0
So what you are saying is that a rooted droid should not get the OTA?
Explain to me the difference.

If all one did was to root their DROID then do nothing else, an OTA update would simple do what it is supposed to do. But that is typically not the case, however. Most people root their DROID so they can change system files. This can cause issues with the update. After renaming system files, an OTA could brick a phone. The best proactive thing to do is to disable OTA updates. Once the "official" 2.1 update is released, we will have access to that file probably sooner than you would get your OTA update anyway. At that time, there will be about 486 threads on how to install the 2.1 update if you have a rooted DROID.

I explained how to disable OTA updates IN THIS THREAD.

Upvote 0
The point I've been trying to make for the last few days, is that its a shame such a wealth of information has to be tarnished by a handful of unhelpful rude members.

Sorry if I've been "unhelpful" and/or "rude". But maybe . . . just maybe . . . some of us are here also to have fun as well. We don't have to just "stick to the facts ma'am" all the time. Sometimes it's fun to have a little fun. Jeez! You really need to lighten up. Why can't I be an a$$ and helpful at the same time???

Upvote 0
Sorry if I've been "unhelpful" and/or "rude". But maybe . . . just maybe . . . some of us are here also to have fun as well. We don't have to just "stick to the facts ma'am" all the time. Sometimes it's fun to have a little fun. Jeez! You really need to lighten up. Why can't I be an a$$ and helpful at the same time???

Because this forum does not allow it! It's not called the android a-hole forum.

Upvote 0
I get your point, but that's life. You are just adding to the problem by creating the same thread for someone to read and hope to find info on, only to get smart a$$ responses because the thread is another triplicate.
See how it becomes cyclical?
You are not helping - I get your point, but that's life.

I have no intention of making duplicate threads. I'm just trying to prove a point.

Upvote 0
Why can't I be an a$$ and helpful at the same time???

Because this forum does not allow it! It's not called the android a-hole forum.

There's a difference between "being an a$$" and "being an a-hole", and it's safe to trust the mods to be able to make the distinction. ;)

The point being made about looking for prior posts is a valid one; many of our members have spent time posting information for the benefit of others, with the result that there's huge resource here. Having said that, a "Use the SEARCH function n00b!" reply isn't really acceptable as a new member may find the search options confusing or intimidating.

One tip I'll share... be as precise as you can with "tags" and "keywords", as many posts have multiples added to make searching (hopefully) an easier task.

I'm now going to close this thread as I reckon it's run its course.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones