To Root or Not

Last Updated:

1. cotandem

cotandem Active Member This Topic's Starter

If you are OK with your current urooted HTC Hero, is there any benefit to rooting? That is, I do not have significant phone call lag, BT issues or it doing wierd and unexpected things. Do the risks of rooting (bricking the phone) outweigh the postitives of doing so? What's to gain except being able to rid the phone of the HTC/Sprint crap apps?

Thanks for your any input.

Advertisement
  2. stay_clean

stay_clean Well-Known Member

The only way to really brick your phone is flashing a GSM radio, or a radio for a different phone.

3. 00h2itr

00h2itr Well-Known Member

Rooting far outweighs the risk of bricking the phone.

As mentioned, the only way to do it, is flash a GSM hero ROM. Since your already in the right spot (assuming you have a Sprint CDMA Hero) any of the ROM's on this forum are going to work for you and are proven.

Guitardoc64 likes this.
  4. Cuso

Cuso Well-Known Member

Just follow one of the many tutorials around here and you shall be fine. They are pretty much idi.. no mor.. no computer illiterate proof, yeah that's better. Always do a Nandroid back-up before screwing around and follow the instructions..Good luck!

5. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

The benefit to rooting is having the power to flash any rom of your liking. Sense UI, an AOSP rom, you name it, the developers are making it right now! Most roms are stable and would be a huge upgrade to stock 2.1!

Like everyone has said, bricking the phone is hard to do as long as you don't flash a gsm rom, a gsm radio or anything that is not made for a CDMA Hero.

What's to gain? Again, the power to flash any rom of your liking:)

Guitardoc64 likes this.
  6. Guitardoc64

Guitardoc64 Well-Known Member

Rooting makes life with the Hero possible. I never hesitated to do it, and the results are worth it. Just getting rid of the bloatware was reason enough, but the possibilites of a rooted Android are endless. Just do it. It doesn't take long at all.

7. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

how many times must this be asked?

8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I didn't get this response 3 months ago!!:D

9. StyxCoverBnd

StyxCoverBnd Member

I just rooted my hero on Friday and it was a breeze. Just follow the directions from the stickied threads and you will be fine. Actually the hardest part was figuring out which rom to try first.

10. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

Not everyone has been on this forum that long, many are new to them and don't know how to use search, even tho it does pop up when starting a thread.

I would rather see someone ask now then to putz up their phone then have to beg for help fixing it.

cotandem don't worry about posts like the one from chinkster as you will always get smart@$$ responses to your questions, just over look them, others will help you with anything they can. OH welcome aboard, see that this was your first post!

to answer your question, I held off for a while to root mine and I followed the directions and it was easy, I still ask a lot of questions myself. I have tried a few ROMS and I would say try the ZEN rom it is very nice and stable.

I started out just rooting it and removing the sprint crap, then later started looking at the roms. you can always go back to the sprint way later if you don't like it or when your ready to trade it in.

11. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum! I also debated rooting for a few months. Finally decided to do it. Lots of great folks here ready, able and happy to help...Don't be afraid to root, OR to ask for help and advice. :)

12. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

here's an easy answer, before i rooted, my sprint hero worked "fine", no problems really. now it slays evil doers, rescues kittens out of trees, and helped clean up the gulf oil spill.

Nickelking likes this.
  13. Nickelking

Nickelking Active Member

Last week my hero rationalized pi.

Edit: Rooted of course, and I think it was only done because I was running ZenEXP.

ck4794 likes this.
  14. cotandem

cotandem Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic responses. I am moving forward with lots of reading, backups and downloading needed files....

15. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

that's cool that you're phone did that, but sorry chuck norris solved that equation before it was ever written