To root or not...?

Last Updated:

1. sleky

sleky Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've recently switched from iPhone to EVO (I'm so very happy!). I have done lots with the iPhone. Jailbroken, unlocked, and all that good stuff. I'm not a newbie, but I am when it comes to the EVO. I must admit, I am starting over again.

So. Here is where I stand. I love my phone, I do. I have no problem paying for anything, its just money. But I'd like it to work. I've noticed lots of bloatware and apps that I cannot wait to get rid of. I'd also like to change the keyboard, for the life of me, whenever I hit space, I go right or left, instead of a space, lol! Just little things like that.

I'm not trying to circumvent anything, but I would like my personal phone to be... Personal. Which is why we all went the HTC route, right? ;]~

Anyways. Right now, my biggest concern, is the fact that when I get an email to my google account, it is telling me, twice. =[ See attached.

Anyways.... To root or not, will it be worth the effort, or say eff it, and just stay stock? (Please don't be TOO biased....) TIA!!!!

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. type993

type993 New Member

Looks like you've probably got notifications on for both mail and gmail. I don't use the mail app, I just use gmail. You can go into 'settings' in the mail app (menu-more-settings) and uncheck 'notifications' to stop the duplicate icons from coming up whenever you get an email. You'll just have one, from Gmail.

Regarding root, I'd really only suggest rooting once you're comfortable navigating the guts of the phone and you're comfortable with it. There are numerous one-click root methods, in fact I just used Unrevoked3 to root mine last week--VERY easy. I mainly rooted mine so that I could control cpu frequencies to see much better battery life. I'm reading what I can about the various custom ROMs before I make a choice. If I'm not mistaken, most of the custom ROMs remove the bloatware.

Bottom line, it's your phone. When you get comfortable with it and get it set up the way you want--you may not need to root it. I don't think it's for everyone. If you're super annoyed by bloatware or you see a custom ROM you may like to try out, then root. No reason to root for the sake of being rooted. Just my .02, enjoy your phone!

3. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

If you want the full potential of your phone, you wanna root.

4. sleky

sleky Active Member This Topic's Starter

I will look into the gmail option. I tried to uninstalling it, but it didn't work. I use 'mail', more than gmail. Exchange Active Sync. =]

As far as rooting. That is the only way I'll be able to remove the bloatware from the phone, right? Basically, that is all that I'm looking to do. Trim out the fat. I also know that I'd rather not 'mess' with things as much as possible. Getting too old to be constantly tinkering with my phone. But like I said, I'd like to remove the stuff that I'll never, ever, ever, ever EVER use *cough* football *cough*. LoL

5. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the only way.

After you root, you can download Titanium Backup and removed all the crap you want:)