to root or not ?

1. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

first would like to say a big hello to everyone im sure i will enjoy my stay here.
    im getting my htc hero tuesday and was wondering if its worth rooting and is it easy ? im not too bad with hacking things (with the help of tutorials lol) done the xbox360 and psp to mention a couple.
    forgot to say phone is locked to three
    regards will

Advertisement
  2. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

3. will65mcmanus

ive read that i will need to gold disk with it been on three is this still true or is there another method ?

Regards will
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't know about 3, but with T-Mobile it was only the recent firmware that required the goldcard.

What firmware have you got on now? Someone here will know if it's patched or not.
  5. will65mcmanus

havent got it yet m8 get it tuesday just trying to get the info before it arrives cheers m8
  6. Xyro

Ah sorry, missed that bit :p

Once you get it I'd hold off updating the firmware until you know if it's patched or not. The unpatched ones are easier to root/put custom firmware on.
  7. will65mcmanus

thanks will post what firmware it has when i get the phone.

regards will
  8. will65mcmanus

firmware 1.5

regards will
  9. Xyro

It's actually the build number that's important :)
  10. will65mcmanus

build is 2.73.771.73
  11. Xyro

According to the list here, you'll have to make a goldcard for that firmware :(

If you try the instructions in this post you'll know for sure. If flashrec is blocked you'll have to make a goldcard and downgrade to firmware that doesn't block flashrec.
  12. scaz

scaz Active Member

I'm on three and I had to use the gold card method to downgrade. To answer your main question is it worth rooting well i would say yes as three wont be the quickest with 2.1 update plus you get the option of being able too force your hero too 2g if ur in a poor area.

Hope this is of some help
  13. will65mcmanus

could you please point me to the guide u used looked at the other 2 just a bit worried i dont want to brick the phone only had it a few days