To screen protect or not.Support

Last Updated:

1. Aristo

Aristo Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if anybody got a scratch on their unprotected screen. I'm really careful with my phone, but sometime I have my keys and phone in the same pocket. I've always protected mine, but I have friend who don't and theirs are also scratch free. Opinions?

Advertisement
  2. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

Defiantly get a screen protector. It's a plastic screen not glass so it is very easily scratched.

3. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Member

i dont use a screen protector, but the phone also gets its own pocket. I dont put anything but my phone in my right front pocket, the rest all goes in the left.

tobiasg likes this.
  4. roadster

roadster Well-Known Member

it's your coice. I am not protected and find at tiems buying hte el ceaopo stuff is a waste of money. if you're going to protect get the better vs the ceaper.
    I own my devices and yet to have a scratch on what may be glass

5. Spark5091

Spark5091 Member

I previously has a Samsung flip phone, and the cover developed a crack. Replacing the phone was a costly option, so I bought one of the thin film protectors to get me through until I could get my next phone... the outstanding Optimus.

To make a long story short, it worked great. SO with this phone I have gone back to the same maker, BodyGuardz. They currently offer both a wet application version and a dry application version. The web site (www.BodyGuardz.com) has videos for the application process, so you can see how easy or hard it is to apply. Their prices are very reasonable, I think mine was $15 with free shipping until Dec 25.

Previous posters are right that it is not required if you're careful, but I too sometimes get the keys and the phone in the same pocket. I'm sure other vendors products are comparable, this is just the one I have experience with.

I think it is cheap insurance

Mountainbiker likes this.
  6. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

I got the plastic case from Body Guard that the Optimus snaps into. Highly recommended. Has a rubber bcking to it so it won't slide around. I also have a plastic screen protector. It is worth it with any phone you are going to be sliding your fingers on all day.

7. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

Since this phone has a plastic screen I'd recommend a screen protector.

I had a touch pro WM phone that had a plastic screen... I had some dirt on my fingers and was selecting something on the screen and it scratched it. It sucks living with a scratched screen.

Androids w glass screens... I wouldn't bother unless you are in a construction type environment where the phone would be exposed to a lot of abrasives.

8. JoeSero

JoeSero Member

I have the Optimus S. Since the screen is fiberglass/plastic (it's not real glass) I decided to protect it. I bought an XtremeGuard screen protector from Ebay for $2.49 shipped and it's awesome. I used water to apply it like the instructions say, and after small amounts of water dry 1 or 2 days later, the screen looks identical with the protector on, versus when it had no protector.

9. lobuzz311

lobuzz311 Member

If anyone is thinking of buying a screen protector, I have another option. I've been waiting for the Boxwave Cleartouch Crystal to come out. It hasn't been on their website, so I emailed their support. I was told it's coming out early next week! Can't wait.

I've been really delicate with my phone, but I would love to have the piece of mind.

10. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I always highly recommend Phantom Skinz. They are my favorite skins for all my gadgets. I've used many kinds and PS are always among the best.

Mountainbiker likes this.
  11. Mountainbiker

Mountainbiker Active Member

I use the Body Glove plastic case protector, is hard plastic and also has a rubber side that feels good on your hand, I highly recommend it for the the Optimus, I still need to get a screen protector even though I carry my on its own belt pouch, I like the extra "protection". Thanks everyone for the screen protector links.

12. roadster

roadster Well-Known Member

any pics of the screen protectors you guys got????

13. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Well-Known Member

Sprint guys say to buy the evo protector and cut it to fit. I purchased a generic large one from walmart. cut to fit is ok :)

14. Ma}{imus

Ma}{imus Well-Known Member

Best Buy has the Zagg screen protectors. Some people think they're too tacky but I love mine.

15. EShepard805

EShepard805 Member

I ordered a skinomi off of amazon for 10.00, it works great. Doesn't peel up on the sides from my silicone case. It's pretty easy to install. Just make sure the skin is completely covered with the fluid they send, and no dust, or lint on the screen. It has a great feel, and also doesn't make the phone look different at all, you can barely see it.

Eric

16. fifedogg

fifedogg Active Member

I just installed one as well. It is the best screen protector I have used to date, though i fucxed up and had to peel it off so I kind of messed it up a little bit :(

17. jnicole

jnicole New Member

i used to work at best buy, and in my honest opinion i would say Zagg Invisishields are the BEST! they have a lifetime warranty too! But i would advise to spend the extra 8 bucks to have them install it, because if not you could be out 30 bucks if u mess it up. but they are military grade screen shields. if you want to see for yourself most best buys will show you a small demo with a phone with one already installed. Great if you put it in your pocket or purse because they protect against key scratches. i highly recommend it! :)

18. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Well-Known Member

The plastic ones are muxh better than the rubber ones with spray and less trouble installing.

19. rendang

rendang Member

I got this one as well, recommend it for $2.49 shipped. Had it for about a month now and so far, looks great. No peeling at the edges, fingers glide over it just fine.

This one doesn't have a cutout for the sensor so it looks better, no problem with function.

20. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Well-Known Member

I spent about $20 for a pack of 5 screen protectors for my sprint hero, a screen protector for my wife's optimus, and 2 very nice clip on protector cases. That's s&h included. All from Amazon! All from my froyoed hero (just wanted to throw that in there)!!!

21. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

I bought screen protectors on ebay (search for "PREMIUM SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR LG OPTIMUS S " from seller pawavenue if you want to look them up).

The auction said one screen protector but there were two in the delivered package. The protectors have a film on both sides that you remove right before application which kept the protector clean. They don't go all the way to the edge of the screen... there is about an extra 1/16" of space... which gave me a little more lee-way for my installation. This is just a heads up if you prefer your protector to go 100% edge to edge.

The protectors are clear, the adhesive is holding them in place well and I'd say they deal with fingerprints a little better then the stock screen. I've had a screen protector made out of the 3m car bra material (I think Zagg uses that material)... it's very durable and adheres well but it feels a little rubbery. This screen protector isn't like that... it feels as smooth as the original screen.

I'm happy so far.

22. fifedogg

fifedogg Active Member

I have had the Zagg and didnt like the rubbery feel. It did great for protection but doesnt work/feel as well as my skinomi. I agree that Zagg just uses 3M material that is used for cars to stop rock chips (look and feel them side by side)