To Stylis or not to stylis?

Last Updated:

1. LaserDroid

LaserDroid Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got my droid on sunday and I would like to know, since im an old school palm pilot user, is it better to use a stylis or not. I do have the screen protector on my Droid and I am very avid with using a stylis so I know how to press and not break the glass.

What are your thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. peck1524

peck1524 Well-Known Member

Use your finger

3. LaserDroid

LaserDroid Member This Topic's Starter

well thats kind of what Im doing but the question was is it better to use a stylis or not

4. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

Use your finger. Capacitative and stylus don't mix. Although I think someone somewhere is developing a capacitative friendly stylus. I think....

5. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Nah, man...Android was made to be finger friendly. No need for a stylus.

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Better is always subjective. I don't see the point in using a stylus with the Droid. If you think it might be then find a stylus compatible with capacitive screens and try it out. No one can tell you what you're going to prefer.

7. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

Unless you like pressing at the screen and nothing happening, then I'd go with finger. The technology used in 'modern' touch-screens is very different to the old-style ones. A standard stylus simply won't work, no matter how had you press it. There are speciality styluses created for the new touch-screens, but they're hit and miss at best

8. lildegregs22

lildegregs22 Well-Known Member

I've never used a stylis on any of my phones android phones are touch friendly also so no need for it:p

9. Dand

Dand Member

Most of the styli that you try will not work capacitive screens don't use pressure to detect what your selecting although if you really want to I have been told that shrink wrapped jerky works. You may look a little weird walking around using that on your screen. By and large though android was designed to be used with your finger the buttons are large enough that the use of a stylus is unnecessary.

10. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

As a former Palm user I can verify, a stylus won't work on the Droid. I was bummed when I tried it when using Note Everything as it would have made "painting" notes so much easier. And there are times when I keep selecting the wrong thing because I have the screen too small. But all in all, you get used to using your finger and you don't really miss the stylus.

11. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I have to use a stylus on an older Palm PC at work once-in-awhile. Yikes, I couldn't imagine having to do that on the Droid.

12. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

You can't use a stylus on the Droid... At least I don't think you can because the screen needs to detect your flesh. You even need special gloves if you wanted to wear a glove during the winter.

13. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

You can't use a regular stylus, but there are plenty of stylii designed for the iPhone which will work fine, there are even special gloves designed for use with the iPhone which will work fine, or you could modify your own gloves with conductive thread for use with the capacitive screen.

14. Scottyent

Scottyent Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, there are styli you can buy that will work with the droid, Pogo Stick is one. However, as for your original question, although i didn't come from Palm, i found using the stylus on the touch screen was cumbersome and much slower. More like hunt and peck as opposed to using 10 keys on a computer keyboard. I think if you try and make the adjustment, fingers will be easier for you, but if not, buy a pogo stick and give it a shot. Hey, even go into an apple store because the employees there have them for their check out machines, I'm sure they'd let you play with one for a few minutes!

15. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

There are capacitive styli, as people here have mentioned. And they do work pretty well. And you can even sew conductive thread into the fingertips of gloves to make them work with capacitive screens. Basically, all you need is the thing you're using to manipulate the screen to be conductive and you have to be holding it and it'll all be fine.

With my old WinMo phones, I had to use a stylus instead of my fingernail because the buttons were so freaking tiny that you had no other way to press them accurately! Android uses human-sized buttons, so that won't be necessary anymore. Use your fingers. ;)

16. BigTimeNexusFan

BigTimeNexusFan Well-Known Member

Get a silcone cast stylus shaped like a finger. Best of both world... :)